Logo

Starting Problems

allaboutgq

"Ok Folks, I need some help an

"Ok Folks, I need some help and I hope you can tackle this one.

Ive got a 55' 7.5hp ScottAtwater Bail-A-Matic. The motor looks great. Here's the problem, I cant keep the "dam" thing running. I bought it and put in new points and condensers. It started (fairly easy) and i ran it for 5-10 mins in a test tank. I decided that it wasnt pumping water so I shut it down to check out the pump. Sure enough the impellers were shot so I ordered new ones.

Got the new ones and installed them. BTW this was a real pain in the tail. Im not sure how they are supposed to fit in the housing but these were pretty difficult to get in. Wondering if this is normal? Ok so then I put it in the tank to start it again and no luck! It will start with a shot of starter fluid but dies quickly. Ive tried starting it with full choke, full throttle, lean, rich you name it. Cant get anything more than a brief 1sec run and then it dies.

Im wondering if the impellers are too tight and they are bogging down the motor? Sounds strange i know but they were not easy to get in. I had them made from a guy at olivers impellers, i needed to sand down the thickness to get them into the housing. I could turn the shaft by hand with one impeller in but not with two. (this motor has two impellers one for the pump and one for the bailer feature) However I could still trun the shaft via the prop by hand.

I cant figure it out. It ran the other day? Any help would be appreciated."

"If it runs briefly with a sho

"If it runs briefly with a shot of starter fluid (which I hope is gas/oil, not actual starter fluid) then dies, it still sounds like a fuel problem. Check to make sure that the check valve (or ball) connector at the motor is allowing fuel to get past. When you pump the bulb for the fuel tank, can you hear fuel squirting into the carb?

Once you do get it running, make 100% sure that the motor is pumping water. It doesn't take long to damage things if it isn't cooling.

I last changed and impeller in a Scott-Atwater (my 1954 16HP) about 20 years ago. I don't remember it being overly difficult, but I only changed the water pump impeller, not the Bail-a-Matic. I also had an OEM replacement, so I'm sure it's fit was better. Did you turn the impeller as you squeezed it into the housing to allow the fins to bend? That is the way to fit it in. As well, make sure you turn it the correct way so when the driveshaft is spinning the fins aren't doubling back on themself, simply bending and pressing against the side of the waterpump housing."

Back