Logo

1972 Johnson 100 hp bad controls

roromyers

"Got a 1972 Johnson 100 and th

"Got a 1972 Johnson 100 and the controls have gone bad. My friend has controls from his 1972 Evinrude 65, wondering if I could swap my controls with his?"

"i do believe so,..unless i ha

"i do believe so,..unless i have forgotten something.....same basic gearcase operation,the evin box,used push buttons,and johnson used a roller sw...."

Well now the 72 65 has a yello

Well now the 72 65 has a yellow plug and the 72 100hp has a black plug!------The ignition switch on the 65 is open to run and the 100 is closed to run.This is not a straight swap.

"My hydro electric controls Fo

"My hydro electric controls Forward position didn't function and I replaced with another hydro-electric control: For-johnson 100hp. the problem was when it was shifted to forward. A check was made by a mechanic and the readings were 12v/12v/12v when it should've read 12v. 12v and 0 volts. So I changed the control box, harness, and cable. Now, forward reverse and nuetral falls into place. My problem and question now is: How can I shut it off. It does not shut off when the key is turned. It turns on and when I turn the key off then the engine doesn't shut down. Should I adjust the idle OR Is there somewhere in the maunual where I can find a topic about troubleshooting this? It's a 100HP johnson (early 70's model). the only other thing I can add is that when I connected the cable and harness then the power plug matched, except for another black wire (with yellow heat shrunk tube)attached along the other wires that were hooked to the power plug. It was black so I thought it was just a (-) grounding wire and attached to the engine screw where I had the (-) wire from the battery. Should I just disconnect that wire since there wasn't a black wire on the original harness? I heard that it is a grounding issue and a negative wire or something is suppose to be disconnected near the power plug or control box. Then, the engine will shut off when the key is turned to the off position. Please help. the controls work fine and F,N,R run well. It just doesn't shut off."

"The 1972 100hp model incorpor

"The 1972 100hp model incorporated the Battery Capacitance Discharge ignition system, which means that the powerpack is actually what is a pulse pack and requires battery voltage to energize it.

With the engine NOT RUNNING, check the purple wire leading to the pulsepack. When the key is OFF, there should be No Voltage being applied to that wire. With the key in the ON position, 12 volts should be applied to that wire. If this holds true, turn the key back to the OFF position and the voltage to that wire should drop to zero. If this test holds true throughout, the ignition switch is okay.

You cannot mix the different color electrical plugs. The wiring and the control box circuitry itself are different. A yellow plug must be connected with a yellow plug, black with black, red with red.

If the above ignition switch test proves the switch to be okay, what is happening is that the charging system is providing voltage to the pulsepack as long as the engine is running.

There should be a small diode attached to the ignition switch that connects to the voltage input terminal of the shift switch to prevent thiss from taking place. The diode must be attached so that voltage flows from the ignition switch to the shift switch. Check your old control box and transfer that diode over if it exists. Pay attention to what terminal it is attached to.

When time permits, visit my eBay store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back