Logo

25hp 4 str bigfoot no fire

tcr22

hi i have a 2002 25hp 4-stroke

hi i have a 2002 25hp 4-stroke Bigfoot outboard that has no fire. i replace the coil which was not the problem. i have no power going to the coil unless i use the motor block for a ground. next i checked the stator mine has a plug with four wire and two quick disconnect plugs which goes to the rectifier but my model did not come with. back to the stator i test it out the White/Green and Green/White stator wire have continuity between it and the block ground if i check them one at a time using the block for the ground same for the other two yellow wires. i checked the other sensor thing that looks like a cam shaft position sensor from a car with two wires a red and a white i got a signal when i turn the motor over. it and the stator go into a Motorola (878433a1) ecu then two wires from it go two the coil i have unplug all the kill switches and still no luck can one help me please also the stator part number is 398-852386a6 which i can"t find it anywhere

"Tim, do you have the factory

"Tim, do you have the factory service manual for your motor?

If not click on my name and email me - put your motor model as the subject, and I will send you the section on the ignition system which includes all the tests, specs, diagrams etc.

Most of us here have had little experience with 4 stroke motors, but will help out with what we can..."

-_-_-UPDATE-_-_-
thanks to th

-_-_-UPDATE-_-_-
thanks to the help of graham i was sure it was the stator so i order one and installed and the motor fire up on the first pull i have two yellow wire from the stator that i was told that is part of a charging system which i do not hav

"Tim, yes, you actually have 3

"Tim, yes, you actually have 3 options and MUST use one of them or you can fry your new stator.

On models with no rectifier or regulator there is a terminal strip on the block (just basically two terminal posts that the yellow wires connect to). It should be there - if not, a Merc dealer can supply you one for a couple of bucks.

Alternately, you can install a rectifier - but it must "always" be connected to a battery or the rectifier fries.

I personally run a lighting regulator on one of my small motors and while it is great for the nav lights, the power is still somewhat uneven making it less than adequate to power a fishfinder etc.

But do connect something up. The power generated from the "charging" portion of the stator has to go somewhere or it could send your new stator to an early grave."

"i also seen this on ebay [url

"i also seen this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Mariner-Outboard-Voltage-Regulator-Rectif ier_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ50442QQihZ011QQitem Z320275850725QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V would it work? and how to wire it. i know the 2 yellow wires go to the stator. would i hook the black wire to a engine ground and hook my - side batt to a engine ground. then run the red wire with a 10 amp inline fuse to the hot side of my batt and the gray wire is for a tack?"

"Tim, yes that rectifier/regul

"Tim, yes that rectifier/regulator would work - and you have the wiring figured correct as well.

Yellows to the stator, red is the hot feed to the battery, black to engine ground (along with your battery ground either together or not - don't really matter) and the gray is for the tach..."

The yellow wires do not go any

The yellow wires do not go anywhere unless you have the charging kit. They can hang around. Otherwise they go into the rectifier. Than red and black go into the battery.

i hook every up right but no

i hook every up right but no power the stator is new so is the rectifier/regulator any ideas?

Back