Logo

Lower Unit Driveshaft Pinion Bearing

00yeller

"I recently had to replace the

"I recently had to replace the Lower Unit Gear Assembly because the pinion bearing locked up on a 04 200HP 3.1L OX66 V MAX. I absolutely hate that metal-on-metal sound and wish not to repeat this experience again. I contacted the previous owner, who indicated he changed the lower unit grease each spring. I was under the impression it was better to replace at the end of the season prior to storage (get any contaminants or water out of there). Any sage advice from the board???"

"if he was putting grease in i

"if he was putting grease in it,..that explains the bad pb....it uses lower unit--OIL"

"So,we've got lots of prac

"So,we've got lots of practical jokers. Ok, Yamaha and Mercury both call it Lower Unit Lub, so we're some where in between an oil and a grease.

They finally disassembled the lower unit. It appears the drive shaft welded itself at upper bearing set. The extended warranty covered most of the repair but still to painful to got through this again."

"we were just saying grease
n

"we were just saying grease
no joking
but if they used grease and not GEAR OIL, i want pics!"

"Dealer Provided Photos for Wa

"Dealer Provided Photos for Warranty Claim:
214690.jpg
214691.jpg
214692.jpg
214693.jpg
"

"According to the dealer, reas

"According to the dealer, reasonably clear gear lub w/ metal shavings came out when they drained it... That would tend to validate that the previous owner changed it at the beginning of the season.

Well, I'm changing it at the end of the season when I winterize the boat/engine..."

Back