Logo

30hp Mariner

mjm99

"I have aquired a 30ELO 689-l-

"I have aquired a 30ELO 689-l-418213 motor. I was wondering what year this motor was made. Also, what spark plugs are reccomended for this? It had been sitting for a while, so I took the carb apart and cleaned it. I noticed while it was running with the "muffs" on, that gas was leaking out of the top of the carb. Upon further investigation, there looked like a screw had came out. I found one and put it back in there. Since then, I have thought it might actually be a vent hole or something. Should there be a hole open on the left side of the top of the carb? It picks up and runs good, just a booger to get cranked. So, I guess my problem is should I "re-set" the float lower and take that screw back out (if this is a vent), and also, what is a baseline setting for the fuel air screw? Thanks for your help! Sorry for the long jumble up post.."

"Mitch, you have a 1987 Yamaha

"Mitch, you have a 1987 Yamaha built Mariner, referred to as an "A" model.

There was two distinctly different Mariners, Yamaha built and Mercury built. Both were very well built motors with few issues but they are nothing alike.

I don't have have tech specs on these. The Yamaha motors were produced mainly for the Asian and European market.

Basically what you have there is a 1979-85 Yamaha 30 horse that they discontinued in their own line, but continued to produce for Mercury.

This would have originally had an "auto blend" oil injection system which has hopefully been removed along the line. It was a system that connected in between the gas tank and the motor. It was very poor and resulted in many a fried motor. Most were simply thrown away and the gas was mixed at 50:1 in the tank.

The plugs for this model are NGK BH7S gapped at .024".

Merc still carries most of the parts you may need for regular maintenace etc. You may be well served to get a copy of the Selocs manual for "Mariners" covering your horsepower/vintage. There is not alot of free/open source info laying around about these particular models..."

"Thanks for the info Graham, t

"Thanks for the info Graham, the autoblend is long gone.

I am thinking I need a carb kit. I took the carb cover off and when you squeeze the pump bulb, it will shoot a large stream of fuel into the carb. (isn't the float supposed to shut off the flow at some point? the bulb will never "firm" up)

Anyway, it will continue to flow the same amount of fuel when you are trying to start it. It is basically flooding to death. The float doesn't seem to be saturated or have fuel in it, but may be bad?

The only thing I can figure is it needs a carb kit in it..

Thanks again for your help!"

"Mitch, that definately sounds

"Mitch, that definately sounds like you have an issue either with the float out of adjustment or the float needle is bad/gummed etc. A carb kit would probably be in order..."

Back