Logo

No reverse on my b83 Merc Black max 150

trippster

"It will actually go in forwar

"It will actually go in forward when you pull it back to shift into reverse??? Not at full throttle, but definitely in reverse. Don't understand this at all. Any suggestions?

tripp"

"Hi there!

Are you getting

"Hi there!

Are you getting WOT (5k + RPM) in FWD? REV would only give you about half of WOT.

Could be that impeller was replaced and shift shaft was not aligned correctly when reassembled? You'd need to drop lower unit, make sure that gearbox and shifter are in neutral position, then reassemble. Check impeller while there... Make sure that you get water tube lined up nicely too.

Regards from a cold and wintery Johannesburg in South Africa!

Benjamin."

"Thanks! I get full power out

"Thanks! I get full power out of FWD, and it never really goes in reverse? It still slowly turns in FWD while I have the boat in (semi) Neutral trying to idle before it dies. The impeller was replaced before I bought the boat so they could have misaligned something while putting it back together. As far as linkage goes and adjusting it, should I start at the control box or at the motor?

Thanks again,

ryan

P.S. What does WOT stand for?"

"WOT stands for Wide Open Thro

"WOT stands for Wide Open Throttle, you will see that a fair bit on this forum.

If the engine still feels like its trying to mesh into FWD gear in neutral then i would definately say its is a selector from in the lower leg, I wouldnt go messing around with linkages because if the previous owner re-did the impeller they wouldnt or should i say shouldnt have had to touch the linkages either.

if u have some basic tools and a little bit of mechanical knowledge give it a go it isnt a very complicated job if u take your time.

if you need any further help just sing out

if u need diagrams post the engine serial number."

"The previous owner acted like

"The previous owner acted like he never knew there was anything wrong with the reverse to begin with. I know I have a project in my hands, just trying to get by with minimal money expenditure if you know what I mean. He had the water pump (impeller) replaced a week before I got a hold of the boat. I know the people really well, which would make me think that they would not lie to me. But, sales are sales and the boat had not been in the water more than once in 8 years. I just wonder if they misaligned something while putting the new impeller (water pump) in. Water pump = Impeller same thing right? Just wondering how I am ever supposed to get this thing to idle correctly if I cannot get it out of FWD gear to tell if if needs a carb overhaul, because it runs great on the open water. Just no reverse and no Neutral.

I believe the engine (beginning) serial number is #6220254 1983 Mercury Black Max 150

Thanks a lot!!!

Ryan"

Common mistake-----drop the lo

Common mistake-----drop the lower unit-----put control in nuetral------use a vicegrip to rotate the shift shaft so it is in nuetral----re-assemble.

i'm having the same proble

i'm having the same problem on my 94 mariner 150. i was the one who replaced the impeller. i have the maintance manual and followed it step by step. i have fwd and neutral but no reverse. anybody have any ideas. the book says to put the motor in fwd gear to remove the lower unit. when that didn't work i tried to put both the lowerunit and the control in neutral. this didn't work. so then i tried to put both in reverse and this didn't work. is there anything else i need to try help please.

"remove the lower and verify y

"remove the lower and verify you have rev. Then shift the controls and verify the shift shaft turns for rev. Find neutral, fwd, and rev on lower unit and install it in neutral."

"got the no reverse problem fi

"got the no reverse problem fixed guys. the problem that i had was when i put the lower unit back on, the shift shaft got push up and sherd a pin in the top of the shift shaft. i knocked the rest of the old pin out and put the shift shaft back in position. it fixed the problem. evidently the shift shaft was lifting over the spline in the lower unit cousing the shift shaft to become misalined no matter what position i put the control box in. i thought that maybe this might help someone too."

Back