Logo

Perkins Diesel Smoking

A

Anonymous

Need some advice about why my

Need some advice about why my Perkins T6.354 smokes excessively when first started.

" Blue smoke on startup that q

" Blue smoke on startup that quickly burns off is consistant with worn valve guide seals; after the engine is shut down oil can run down the valve stems past the seals. Then the next time the engine is started, the accumulated oil burns off suddenly, making a cloud of smoke. If your engine was turbocharged, I would check out the turbo seals. Worn piston rings usually smoke all the time. A stuck open or leaking injector would be suspect if the engine ran rough and used a lot of fuel- usually you can smell the unburned fuel in the exhaust. It's possible you have a slowly leaking injector that slowly dribbles fuel into the combustion chamber after shutdown, but I would expect most of the fuel to leak past the rings and show up in the oil, causing raised oil level. The color of smoke is sometimes a little difficult to pin down since it can be a combination of whitish, gray, and blue. Try to get a good whiff of it to get a sense of its composition. If the injectors have a lot of hours on them you might consider replacing them with rebuilt units.
Chet Valdes "

Back