Point gap .001

Plug gap .0035
Point gap .0019
Dwell 34-38
Timing 10 BTDC
idle rpm 600-650 (in gear)
WOT RPM 5200-5600

"I've got a 1990 Spectrum

"I've got a 1990 Spectrum 2.3L OMC Cobra that began mis-firing first time out this summer. Idling fine for about 1.5 hours fishing, then rough. Finally got to higher rpms, ran OK. Went back to idle, and running rough again. Hasn't been in the water since. Not willing to give up and take it to the mechanic, though.

Did the tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) now no spark at all. Pulled #1 wire from cap and no spark. Checking the ignition coil primary resistance is 1.9-2.1 ohms, secondary is 10.68 k-ohms.

Any idea what the specs are for the coil or any other ideas for no spark?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jason"

"I would verify that you have

"I would verify that you have 12v on the positive post of the coil first, both during starting and when the key is on as it comes from 2 different circuits. I would be suspicious of the points if it was working (even rough) before they were changed, they might be either not closing or always closed?"

"Bob,
Thanks for the input. I

"Bob,
Thanks for the input. I have not tested what's going into the coil. As for the points, I did not touch them at the tune-up (still running on the originals). Didn't want to change too much at once. Changed the resistor, but when it didn't start I went back to the original resistor as well.

Will probably not get back to it until this weekend. Just out of curiosity, being that this is a Ford engine, is the coil available at the auto parts store?"

"Not sure what you mean by res

"Not sure what you mean by resistor??? These OMC's actually have a resistor wire built into the wiring harness.

Sorry about the points comment, guess I assumed you replaced them along with everything else. I would still start with the voltage checks at the coil. Also, do you have a safety lanyard up near the throttle? If so check there as well because they will not let the coil fire."

I have a 1985 OMC 3.0 4 cyl an

I have a 1985 OMC 3.0 4 cyl and need ignition specs. Can anyone help?

Back