Logo

86 Force Outboard Power TrimTilt Part

R

rsilva

"So, I am new to this whole bo

"So, I am new to this whole boat thing. Before this summer the only thing I new about a boat was how to sit on one and look pretty--LOL! Anyhow, I purchased the boat a few months ago and it has been sitting at a very reputable boat mechanic for about 2 months. Apparently everything is great except they have been trying to find some "discontinued" part. I don't know all the boat lingo, but they told me they are waiting for the "base" for the power trim/tilt (hydraulic lift thing). I am not sure if they are taking advantage of me dollar wise or if they truly cannot find the part. For this concern, I have decided to take matters into my own hands! First question, is the hydraulic lift necessary or can you manually put the motor up and down. If so, how do you keep the motor down when in the water. And finally, where could I find this "base" part that they speak of. Nothing is impossible to find! I appreciate any and all help."

"One more thing, if possible,

"One more thing, if possible, can someone tell me the real name of this "base" part.

--Ms. New Boater"

"I don't mean to sit here

"I don't mean to sit here and have conversations with myself, but, I keep forgetting things.

...I am not sure if this pertains to my questions, but just in case, I thought I would let people know that it's a 125 HP."

"If your engine is a "Forc

"If your engine is a "Force" it is very hard to find parts for them, because they haven't made "Force" in about 10 years. My tilt (ram)went out a few months ago and there are none anywhere, The tilt will go up all the way but not stay up, so I have to put the trailing block in before in comes back down, but the ram for the trim still works. In most cases I've seen there are two rams one for tilt and one for trim. When they wear out they can't find them anymore and they can not be rebuilt."

"Apparently the tilt/trim are

"Apparently the tilt/trim are fixed and working well, but they can't find this so-called base piece; however it will not work without this piece. ...So are you saying that I can trim the boat manually without using the hydraulic lift? What about when the boat is in reverse? By the way, thanks for the quick response and help."

"No, you can't trim manual

"No, you can't trim manually. There are two different rams. The ram for the trim only moves the engine a small amount up and down to keep you boat in trim (kind of flat to the water)which you'd have to do every time you speed up or slow down and at various speeds, the ram for the tilt is used to raise the motor up so it doesn't hit the bottom while loading, unloading on the trailer. You should have a bar that goes between the motor and the boat for the motor to rest on when the boat is not in use. Remove that bar just before putting the boat into the water so the motor can be lowered. The motor is too heavy to raise and lower by hand, that's the reason for the rams. It's kind of hard to explain without showing someone in person, but if you know anyone with an outboard or a shop could show you. I hope I didn't comfuse you more."

"Thanks for the somewhat clari

"Thanks for the somewhat clarification. One last question. So, once I'm in the water the motor just stays all the way down? Is that bad for the motor?"

"Yes, kind of, one)make su

"Yes, kind of, one)make sure it's not touching the bottom, two) you may have to raise the engine just a little to keep trim, when driving at a slow steady pace try to keep the prop horizontal to keep the boat almost flat, the front/bottom part of the bow just skimming or slightly out of the water (depending on your hull design)"

"Rayann,
This is what the t/

"Rayann,
This is what the t/t setup looks like. The black set is from a 88 Force 85 hp and the white is from a mid 70s Chrysler 105. What are you missing or need to replace?
From left to right on the black one ........
transom bracket, shock absorber, trim cyl, transom bracket, tilt cyl, pump and motor assy. You CAN find GOOD parts on ebay.

193217.jpg
tilt / trim"">
193218.jpg
tilt / trim older

Back