Logo

12hp Buccaneer ID

codeman

I just unearthed a 12 hp Bucca

I just unearthed a 12 hp Buccaneer outboard that I know has not been ran since the late 80's because no one has touched it since then. My father put a new fuel pump on it then but that is all I can remember. First off what year is it? And where should I start? I just got it in the shop and I hope to mess with it some tonight.
Mod #12D11B
Ser #519010

Thanks for your help.

"Your motor is a 1954-1955 mod

"Your motor is a 1954-1955 model. It was made by OMC's Gale division and shares a lot of parts with Johnsons/Evinrudes of the same era. After sitting that long I'd remove the flywheel and look at the points and coils. The points shouldn't be rusty or pitted (they can be sanded if they aren't too bad), and the coils should be checked for cracks. Replace as necessary. Check the bottom end for gear oil. If it looks good, great, if it is milky, watery, or empty you may have damage from the bottom end freezing, depending on the weather where you live. Does the motor turn over well? Can you feel resistance and hear a nice popping sound when you pull the cord? The carburetor likely needs to be disassembled and cleaned after sitting that long.
One very important thing to check would be the water pump impeller. After sitting that long I wouldn't even think of using the motor without replacing it. You may be able to get the motor running with the one that is in it, but make sure it pumps water out the back. Once you know you have yourself a good running engine, replace the impeller. Use a J-6C plug, gapped at .030, and the points should be gapped at .020.
I hope that is a good start, good luck."

"Thank you sir. Where is the i

"Thank you sir. Where is the impeller located on this one? Also where would be a good place to order one? I changed the one in my 9.8 Merc a while back with no problem. The carb is gummed up pretty bad I plan to clean it first, It has plenty of compression. I didn't spin it over too much to begin with I pulled the plugs and shot a little WD40 in it to give it some oil on the top end. Question do I even need to use the fuel pump if I am starting it off of the attached tank?"

"The impeller is located in th

"The impeller is located in the bottom end above the gearcase (very much like your Merc). Your best bet is to get yourself an old outboard manual (I got one off ebay). I don't know off hand what impeller you would use for your motor (hopefully someone else does). It is likely similar to other OMC motors of the day, and I'd be looking at part number 183002 at NAPA. No guarantees, but that is the impeller the other OMC motors of the same size and year used. If you continue to use the tank you have now you won't have to put in a fuel pump. I personally have not converted any of my old 2 line motors to run off of a fuel pump as I haven't had any problems. The problem is that the tanks are getting rare, and go for a premium when you can find one. It would be cheaper (and safer) to convert to a newer tank if your old one were no longer useable.

Fuel mixture is 1/2 pint to the gallon. Use TCW-3 outboard motor oil."

The coils are shot. It was onl

The coils are shot. It was only firing on one hole so I pulled the flywheel and the coils are in bad shape the plastic/ epoxy has cracked and separated oddly everything else under there looks brand new. Please explain a little on the Fuel tank. This motor has the integrated tank on top of the motor. Can I just plumb it in for now and bypass the pump to get it running? Also how did you look up the parts from NAPA? I can't find their marine applications online anywhere.

"Ah, if you have an integrated

"Ah, if you have an integrated tank on top of the motor, forget what I said about a fuel pump. If you can get the inside of the tank clean you will be in good shape. There are kits out there that allow you to flush your tank, and then have a solution that seals it. Check with your local marine dealer or motorcycle shop.

For NAPA, go to http://www.napaonline.com/ then hover over the parts link at the top. Then go to the PartsPRO SE Catalog. It is not really that easy to find the parts there, but I've looked up part numbers elsewhere and typed them in there to find what I'm looking for.

The unfortunate thing about having an older Gale is that NAPA likely doesn't have a link for them (I could be wrong though). If you have a local NAPA and bring them your impeller, they might be able to match it.

I'm assuming your coils can be replaced relatively cheap. Check out http://www.vintageoutboard.com/

Good luck."

Ha! My buddy knows the guys at

Ha! My buddy knows the guys at NAPA locally so he called with the part numbers from one of the other sites they can have pretty much all of it next day! Who would have thought. Thanks for the tip.

Can you give me some insight o

Can you give me some insight on how the plug wires separate from the bottom of the plate that the coils mount on? The old coil just kind of fell apart when I took it loose. What secures it the plate once its reattached to the coil?

i have a seaking 5hp model VWB

i have a seaking 5hp model VWB19072 serial 46X13815 anyone know what yr also fuel oil ratio thank you

Back