Logo

270 locking reversing pawl issue

sewaneta

"Bought a 1986 with a Volvo 27

"Bought a 1986 with a Volvo 270 stern drive eariler this year. Issue is the pawl will not release when the tilt mechanism pushes on the lower unit. The push sleeve that is on the top of the push rod does not extend out of the fork at all. The service manual refers to this sleeve extending 1/16 of an inch when the pawl is down (disengaged). Nothing about how far it should extend with the pawl engaged. However mine does not extand at all. I have the locking nut all the way down. Do these wear out? Could it have broken off? Is that possible? If so what does it take to repair / replace? It looks like the lower unit needs to come off, which seems like a lot of work for this little part. DOes anyone have any thoughts? It looks like from old post's that one "solution" is a rope tied to the mechanism to allow it to release."

"The locking nut only locks th

"The locking nut only locks the thrust sleeve (part 47 on the link). Just unscrew the sleeve counterclockwise for it to protrude through the fork as per specifications, then lock it in place with the lock nut.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/INTERMEDIATE_HOUSING_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_270/dm/cart_id .497973580--category_id.332331--list_time.1215561915--session_id.118599020--stor e_id.366--view_id.317506

Refer to page 127 (129) of this manual for the correct adjustment.

http://www.mybayliner.co.uk/boatmad/280285290.pdf"

"Thank you for the response.

"Thank you for the response. My mind read that I had included the fact that I can't get to the push sleeve, but I did not write it. When the pawl is in the engaged posistion (transom up or down) none of the sleeve sticks out of the top or bottom. In the disengaged position only a little extends out from the yoke. Not enough for me to get needle nose pliers on. It's like it's to short. I have done somemore reading and it maybe broke. What I can feel of the top feels sharp or jagged."

"With the outdrive lifted, you

"With the outdrive lifted, you should be able to see the sleeve coming out of the fork. If broken (that is, if you can see the threaded rod through it) just replace it."

Back