Logo

Old propellers

marjim

Anyone have ideas where to fin

Anyone have ideas where to find a propeller for a 1975 Mercury 9.8 outboard...or who repairs them...I have a fin that is bent.

"Jim, if the damage is not toa

"Jim, if the damage is not toatally severe just about any decent prop shop can fix it (try a websearch for your local area).

Alternately, if you are looking for one of the original two blade props there are still alot of used ones around and turn up often on places like Ebay.

Where are you located? someone might know of a decent shop right off the top of their head for where you are..."

"Hi I have aquired a two blade

"Hi I have aquired a two blade Quick Silver brass prop with these numbers imprinted on the side 48-31452-A3-21. I would like to know if I can use it on my 1990 Mariner 75hp motor or if I should use it as a very fancy doorstop. I understand the pitch is 21" and the boat is a dart hull. I wonder if you would be able to say how old the prop is from its numbers.The prop on the motor at the moment is a Solis 4 blade D4 x 13 x 15R (M), I imagine it is 15" pitch I am interested in installing a 17" pitch 3 blade. Thanks Fred"

"Fred, I looked up the number

"Fred, I looked up the number in my cross-ref charts and can't find it listed - so suspect it is older than the lists I have.

My best guess would be that it came off an early 1960's model somewhere in the 60-100 horse range (but that is almost purely a guess).

If the spline matches up on your 75 horse, give it a try.

A 21 pitch 2-blade would be about the equivalent of a 19 or 20 pitch 3 blade (due to less drag).

Two blade props will generally give you a little better top end speed, but do tend to cause the motor to "shake" a little worse.

If it fits, give it a try. Just make sure that it fits properly into the gear case - any gaps due to not sitting back far enough or due to slightly smaller diameter on the hub can cause cavitation problems that you don't want...."

"Thanks Graham always a great

"Thanks Graham always a great help, perhaps I should then rather mount the prop behind my bar, it may be worth somthing one day, lol? What are your thoughts on the 15 to 17 pitch 3 blade conversion? I have another question which you can perhaps shed some light. I noticed that I was not getting full throttle as when I take the throttle lever fully forward my carbs are not fully open, if i ajust the accelerator cable to get full throttle the arm starts to throttle the carbs and the engine starts racing. Is there perhaps a different procedure that you know of?"

Back