Logo

Carb Cleaner

farnsp

Regular Contributor
"What kind of carb cleaner is

"What kind of carb cleaner is the most popular these days? I've used up the gallon that I bought 20 years ago, and when I went to buy another the peaple at the carb shop said it's not made anymore, they say it caused too many cases of cancer. Also, they wont sell what they use as it is too strong to be sold to the public. So, I guess I'm looking for an off the shelf carb cleaner that works for soaking carb bodies. Any suggestions appreciated."

"Paul.... Are you speaking of

"Paul.... Are you speaking of the carb cleaner that was/is sold by Advantage Auto Parts (formerly Discount Auto) in a one gallon can that included a parts basket for $10.00 or so?

Not being made anymore because it causes cancer, BUT they make a stronger solution? I think they released that guy way too soon."

"Joe, it was like "Carb Re

"Joe, it was like "Carb Renew" or something, I think by Dow Chemical. Silver can with blue lettering. If I remember correctly it cost like $20.00/gal. Pour into a metal container, soak carb, strain back into can with a paint strainer. Lasted forever, and parts come out like new money. Very little scrubbing.

I wont beleive that anything sold today would be as strong or work as good. Having had a spill I need to try something, so I'll give your suggestion a try. As far as the guy at the shop, well I can only tell ya what he told me. Many thanks."

Back