Logo

Stuffing Box

alaska_av8r

Contributing Member
"Twin Crusader 350's with

"Twin Crusader 350's with velvet drives, one prop clockwise rotation the other is counterclockwise.

Will the different prop and shaft rotations cause one of the compression nuts and lock nuts to have to be turned in a reverse direction to loosen it?

I managed to get one off to replace the packing, but the other is tight and I thought it may be reverse threaded due to the rotation."

"They both are the same. The

"They both are the same. The locking nut MUST be tight to keep the packing from either over-tightening, or loosening up.

Jeff"

If the v drive is on the stbd

If the v drive is on the stbd side it may be left handed threads. I ran into this on a 28' Carver.

"thanks wej, it just so happen

"thanks wej, it just so happens to be the starboard side, I guess i will have to take a light down there and study the threads.

I even wrote cruisers about it but haven't received a response yet."

"Wej got that one right, the n

"Wej got that one right, the nut and lock nut are reverse threads on the starboard engine. I got both sides packed and ready to go.

Cruisers finally responded today after I had finished the job, and confirmed the reverse thread."

"I'm wrong yet again! Sma

"I'm wrong yet again! Smart of you to find out from someone who knew for sure. And it's a good design, for the packing nut can tighten down on one side it the lock nut isn't applied.

Jeff"

Back