Logo

05 Df 70 overheat signal rev limiter

woodzowl

"I think that I saw a post of

"I think that I saw a post of a problem similar to this before. Bought this motor used, one year old with low hrs. Runs perfect other than when I run it over 4400 rpm the overheat signal flashes and the rev limiter comes on. I have changed the thermostat, the bypass thermostat and the exhaust temp sender. When this happens the telltale is always lukewarm to touch. What do you think I'm missin?"

"This has been an ongoing prob

"This has been an ongoing problem for over a year. The boat will cruise at 25-26 mph (4000rpm) all day and nothing has changed over time. this problem happens when the engine is run at over 4300-4400 under a load. It shows no signs of overheating. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer, 30 miles one way, the boat lives in the water and is used every day."

There are no flash codes being

There are no flash codes being displayed.---When the motor was serviced the zincs and thermostat were replaced in the engine and all looked nice and clean inside. jm

I will finish the season then

I will finish the season then replace the water pump and see what happens. Tanx for the replies. jm

"Update - Since my last post

"Update - Since my last post in July, I happened upon another post in this forum that mentioned air entering the engine and forming pockets in the water jacket. My boat likes to have the motor trimmed, so I tried not trimming it at all. Lo and behold the problem has not occured since the middle of July, ( about 175 hrs ). This is a great forum and thanks to everyone that takes the time to help out. J. M."

I had a similar problem with m

I had a similar problem with my DF 115 motor--would intermitently overheat at WOT--and had to lower it one notch on the transom. Apparently these Susies don't like ANY air getting into the water sytem. We put a laptop on it to diagnose the problem. Temp would spike suddenly if boat hit light chop or was trimmed too much. Since lowering the motor one notch have not had problem.

Back