Logo

Tamd 41 coolant question

80tiara

"i have 2 tamd 41 with 2500 ho

"i have 2 tamd 41 with 2500 hours, engines run great only problem is that i have to refill both coolant tanks up after running for 5-6 hours. also engines run at 200 degrees on gauges but engines temp out with thermal gun at 180.
no water in oil, no oil in coolant, no visable leaks, and very very light steam from exhaust while runnig. no bubbles in coolant while under cruise power 3200 rpm's. thanks for any input"

"I would be looking at the pos

"I would be looking at the possibility of heat exchanger leaks. It is curious though that both require the same amount of topping up. Are you sure you are not trying to keep them too full and the excess is not simply being vented off.

Diagram of the heat exchanger hopefully here"

thanks for the reply. i dont

thanks for the reply. i dont thing that the exchangers are leaking. i have the small plastic tank for coolant. i could be over filing this and refilling. the coolant tank is usually not completely empty but i always top off the coolant. i have considered to cut the upper hose and install a radiator cap and recovery tank. this would allow me to fill the upper hose and tstat housing.
thanks steve

Hi - Had the same occurances -

Hi - Had the same occurances - it turned out to be the filler casp springs that were tired. Change the filler caps and problem went away.
Have fun
Pete

"Check your head gasket. My sy

"Check your head gasket. My symptoms were the same. Eckel's recomended removing the sea strainer to give her more water. I ran her easy to keep temp down. Ten hours later blew the head gasket, scarred a cylinder wall."

Back