Logo

Loss of power at 4000RPM Petronix Ignition

fire388

"Hi All,
I have a Volvo Penta

"Hi All,
I have a Volvo Penta AQ231.
Last year I replaced the points and condensor with a Petronix ignition system and it ran great all year until the end of the season when I took it out for the last time. The engine would run great at 3000 RPM but when I increased it to 4000RPM it would bog down. A brand new fuel filter, carburetor, fuel line, new fresh gas was installed. New exhaust risers, goose neck for cooling, spark plugs wires, raw water impellar were also installed so I did do alot of updating. The only thing I can think of that I have not replaced yet is the original coil it is a 1989 coil that I did not replace after installing a Petronix electric ignition. This coil still has the resistor on it. How do I go about checking to see if the coil is in fact causing this loss of power at 4000RPM? This engine is in mint condition and only had 145 hours of use on it. When at idle you can balance a nickel on the flame arrestor.
Any help would be much appreciated.......
proud.gif
"

"Have you checked the fine fil

"Have you checked the fine filter inside the carb, the anti-syphon valve inthe fuel tank line, and the fuel tank vent?

Also, I believe that your setup when converted to Pertronix requires a 1.5 ohm, 12V coil and no resistor. This is how I am running my 350 (ex AQ311) with no problems at all."

The anti siphon valve is check

The anti siphon valve is checked how? And if that is the culprit does Sierra sell this valve or is it a special order item? The filter in the carb is clear with no obstructions and the vent was replaced last week with a new one. To test the coil do I take an ohm meter and place the ohm meter leads on the positive post and the negative post and set it to ohms?

"Does the Petronix flame throw

"Does the Petronix flame thrower coil have to be marine grade or can I go to the local auto parts store and pick up an automotive one? Should I get the 45,000 volt or the 60,000 volt coil?"

"I think that the regular Pert

"I think that the regular Pertronix kits are rated for the 40000V coil.

The epoxy filled coil is better suited for boats than the oil filled, but both will work."

"El Pescador,
I measured the

"El Pescador,
I measured the voltage between the positive and negative terminal and it was 2.3 ohms well over the maximum of 1.4ohms per the seloc manual and your reference. I ordered the new coil and will take out the resistor and hook it up directly. I measured the voltage after the resistor and it was 6 volts. Am I taking the right steps in replacing these items after seeing these test results?"

"6 Volts is too low in my opin

"6 Volts is too low in my opinion. Here is a link to the Flame Thrower coils that Pertronix makes.

http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/ptx/2007/ptx07_coil.pdf

I currently use the regular Flame Thrower epoxy coil (40000 V) and a Pertronix ignitor. So far, it works great and to this date have not experienced any problems. However, any 12V ignition coil designed for a V8 should work in your engine, but make sure you remove the resistor."

Back