Logo

Think its fixed hopefully

N

neal wright

"ok i just replaced impeller,

"ok i just replaced impeller, and all looked good. let it idle for around 20 min on muffs. It never overheated. I have one question. Is water supposed to come out where the shift shaft goes down into the lower unit. the place you can see a piece of the shift shaft if you look between the lower unit and the upper. This is a 40 horse evinrude 1993 model. The new impeller kit came with an o ring the old one did not have. I did not use it"

"well i asked about the locati

"well i asked about the location of the o- ring and could not ever get a clear idea. The schematic for my engine does not show one, but i am probably wrong not using it. The groove on the impeller for the o- ring is on top. The o- ring would fit between impeller upper, and top plate on the housing. Would this be correct? I figured the spinnig would tear the o ring up in no time. Do youthink this would cure the problem of water coming out of hole where shift rod goes through?"

Neal:
I doubt You could have

Neal:
I doubt You could have gotten a more 'clear' idea than the pick showing the location of the o-ring UNDER the impeller after the modification was introduced even in production.
The 'groove' in the impeller has nothing to do with the o-ring!

Maybe youre right but when one

Maybe youre right but when one looks at a schematic for their model motor and one 3 years newer it would just make more sense to go with the one matching their motor. What threw me off was the previous one had NO orings. Thanks for the help

"Check corresponding part numb

"Check corresponding part numbers for the different year models, You might discover the only difference is the added o-ring."

it is a different part number

it is a different part number from the 1993 to the 1996. I went ahead and put the o ring under the impeller as you stated. It was a slight gap in the water pump housing before tightening down the bolts. The shaft does not turn as free by hand as it did without the o- ring under the impeller. i do know the brp catalog numbers are different but who knows they could be the same part. another site does have my impeller with and without an o ring. i put the o-ring between the wear plate and the impeller. What keeps the o-ring centered if there is not a groove in the impeller for it?

"ok this thing is makin me mad

"ok this thing is makin me mad. just looked on another site with photos and the oring i have does not fit the shaft snugly. It can not possibly go between the wear plate and the impeller. I can not figure out where it goes. The way it is now it seems it would not stay centered underneath the impeller body, and would cause major problems. ideas?"

I really think it is time to c

I really think it is time to consult with an OMC mechanic.This has to be simpler than you think---sorry.

"If You bought an original BRP

"If You bought an original BRP part, it probably came with an installation instruction.
If You bought a non-original aftermarket part -ask the supplier!
Do You have the old type pump housing with sleeve and top plate, or the new type with cup?"

"If there is no groove in the

"If there is no groove in the impeller to accept a O Ring, then it does not require a O Ring.

I'm wondering if the O Ring you speak of is the O Ring that would seat in the impeller housing groove that exists between the cup and the impeller housing."

its a mallory kit RL3104. i

its a mallory kit RL3104. i just need to know where the o ring goes. It is nothing to changing an impeller but this o ring sucks. Ikia i have been to the OMC mechanic already for this overheating problem. Thats why I am doing this repair myself.

"ok joe thanks. Thats what i

"ok joe thanks. Thats what i thought, but hey im not a marine mechanic. Thanks for the help"

Back