Logo

What hp is the lowest for my boat

jjdluz

Regular Contributor
"i plan to replace my 2 stroke

"i plan to replace my 2 stroke 200 outboard to 4 stroke,what is the lowest hp motor i can put on my 1992 proline 21 foot center console?is 150 hp ok?and is that 4 stroke 150 weight more the my old 92 200?thanks for any tips and advices."

"Jason, first off nice boat -

"Jason, first off nice boat - if my chart are correct your boat weighs in (dry weight) at a little over 2200 pounds and is rated for a 200 horse.

Rule of thumb - go nothing less than 80% of max horsepower or you will be disappointed.

So 200 x .8 = 160... Maybe a 150 is ok, 175 probably a little better.

The top end difference between either would be difficult to detect.

A 92, 2 stroke will weigh in between 400-450 pounds (dry) depending on the Mfg.

A 150 Merc Verado is a little over 500 pounds, ditto the 175 with Yami's/Honda's about 25 pounds less.

Any reason you haven't considered one of the Direct Injected 2 strokes? A whole, whole lot less maintenance, a little cheaper sticker price, just as fuel efficient/quiet and EPA/CARB ratings are the same - and they weigh in about the same as your old 2 stroke (near 100 pounds less than a comparable 4).....

Merc's Optimax, Yami's HPDI and OMC/BRP's E-Tech's will all kick the snot out of any 4 stroke of the same or greater horsepower just about any way you want to compare them...."

Back