Logo

1973 silverton 318bs

S

Seaver

I have twins and the port side

I have twins and the port side is so perfect! Not so on the other...I was changing the thermostat and the intake manifold crumbled where the thermostat housing bolts in. Question is. Where do i find a new intake manifold? And would aluminium be okay if painted?
thanks

"Mine is a bit crumbled as wel

"Mine is a bit crumbled as well, but if you make a stainless plate and put the t-stat in it, the manifold can still be used. In the photo I used one of the small diameter t-stats for mine by making up this plate. (I also used galvanised steel, which isn't as good.)

Jeff
192517.jpg
"

"jeff thanks for the reply, Bu

"jeff thanks for the reply, But will that work only bolting one side of the thermosat housing down? seems like it would leak like crazy? Mine is crumbled on the "thunmb nail" that the bolt screws into. No place to thread into...."

"My thermostat housing would n

"My thermostat housing would not seal against the engine block because of corrosion. I stuffed an old rag in the hole to keep dirt out. After a good wire brushing with an electric drill attachment, I filled in the eroded areas with "JB weld". I let it dry and filed a new flat surface.The new surface allowed the gaskets to seal properly. Supposedly "JB weld" can be drilled and tapped when it is dry. I would give it a try before major replacements."

If JB Weld can't fix somet

If JB Weld can't fix something then it's time to replace it! I keep a new package onboard mine at all times.

Jeff

Back