Logo

Pertronix coil

ejbtech1

Regular Contributor
"Has anyone had any issues wit

"Has anyone had any issues with a flame thrower coil getting hot and breaking down, causing weak spark, or no spark at all?
I have what I thought might be a fuel issue. The engine runs good at rpms below 3000. I can cruise all day at 2500.....As soon as I bring up rpms to 3000+ it will die within a few minutes.
I tried the jerry can method, hoping the antisiphon valve was the issue. NOPE!!!!
Had the boat out yesterday,running on a gas can. We cruised at 2500 rpms for about 10 miles.
When we got within sight of the ramp, I opened it up. Had her at 4000 rpms planed out. It ran awesome for about 15 minutes....Then it died.
I checked the spark from the coil, and it was VERY weak. The coil was hot. I let it cool down for about 15 minutes, then she fired right back up and ran good again.
Has anyone had this issue? I am going to get another coil saturday, and mount it away from the engine.
But I am very curious to know if anyone has had to replace their coil due to the same issue.I have had this coil on the boat for a little over a year."

I had had this issue on a long

I had had this issue on a long time ago and took a mechanic out with me because I had tried everything.It does not cost much to get a new coil and hopefuuly cure the problem

"1) Are you running a 3 oh

"1) Are you running a 3 ohm coil?

2) Have you connected your electric fuel pump to the + of the coil? If so, that could be your problem, you need to run a separate line."

"Yes I am running a 3 ohm.

"Yes I am running a 3 ohm.
The pump is on a seperate 12 volt source.
Actually I have both the pump and the coil on two seperate switches.
If you remember, I had an issue with the engine running after I switched it off due to the alternator.
When I excited the alternator, I couldn't switch the engine off, so I ran the coil to a switch.
I just noticed the other day that the spark got weak when running at or above 3000 rpms.(within 15 minutes)"

"If you have more that one wir

"If you have more that one wire connected to the + of the coil, you may want to try running only one (the one that feeds the coil); or replacing the wire from the igntion switch to the coil with another of adequate gauge for the amps that are running through it. Nevertheless, I suggest that when you deviate from the original design wiring and start adding electric fuel pumps, etc, you better know what you are doing and the potential consequences of the nods, as you can get weird (even dangerous) results."

"I have one wire to the +

"I have one wire to the + of the coil via the switch. The other,of course, goes to the distributor. The - goes to the tach, and the distributor....."

I am seeing the same symptom o

I am seeing the same symptom on my 1985 wellcraft...going to try replacing the coil as soon as I figure out which one to buy.

Back