Logo

MD11C water in oil fresh water leaking internally

E

Eric Howard

"I have an MD11c, which I succ

"I have an MD11c, which I successfully rebuilt 5 years ago. The engine is now leaking fresh water into the crank case. I have checked cylinder heads, head gaskets,exhust manifold, and fresh water pump seals. All okay. Any suggestions? Eric"

"In salt water it is possible

"In salt water it is possible for the liners to corrode though near the water jacket drain cocks I understand but I would not expect that to happen with a fresh water cooled engine.

Definitely not a head gasket or an exhaust manifold gasket or the water pump seals ! That leaves the unlikely possibility that it is a leak between the liner and the block but then the seal between the liner and the crankcase should stop water getting in that way. No not that then!

Not a problem with a failed antisyphon valve and raw water is getting in via a flooded exhaust system?

You are really sure that water is getting in from the cooling system and you are not seeing condensation due to it running cold?

Sorry clutching at straws. You ruled out the obvious yourself.

Ah I just spotted you said fresh water pump seals. Its the raw water pump, the one one the back of the engine driven off the end of the camshaft that cases the problems. Or was that what you really meant"

"Hi Eric,

I'm thinking

"Hi Eric,

I'm thinking like Vic. By the way, how do you know it is fresh water leaking into crank case? The raw water pump seals can cause this. Also have you had your exhaust manifold off lately? It is VERY easy to put the exhaust manifold gasket on backwards...did it myself on this engine once and got water in the oil. Fixed the gasket, changed oil three times for assurance and problem was solved."

Back