Logo

MD2B WATER IN OIL

neverland

"HI EVERYONE,

I HAVE A

"HI EVERYONE,

I HAVE A MD2B AND RECENTLY DID THE TOP END AFTER BLOWN HEAD GASKET, REFACED THE HEADS, NEW VALVES, NEW GASKETS, CLEANED AND PAINTED. STARTED ON FIRST TRY, THEN CHECKED THE OIL AND IT LOOKED LIKE LITHIUM GREASE.

WHERE COULD THE WATER BE COMING FROM? MAYBE IT WAS FROM THE BLOWN GASKET? IS THERE ANY WAY TO FLUSH THE SYSTEM? ALSO, ARE THE SEA WATER PUMP AND THE OIL PUMP ON THE SAME AXLE, AND MAYBE IT IS THE GASKET BETWEEN THEM?

THANK YOU, FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL."

Usually water pump seal failur

Usually water pump seal failure. Seal moves in case and covers weep hole. When seal fails water travels down shaft past oil seal into crankcase.

"As DickV says water can get i

"As DickV says water can get in from the water pump.

In some engines there was a spacer between the water and oil seals in the water pump which they later said sould be removed presumably because that blocked the weep hole.

Note the correct way round for the two seals

A route that water can find its way in is if a cylinder liner corrodes though near where the water jacket drain plug/cock is situated apparently.

A blown head gasket could well have been the sorce of the water as well. I take it you did not change the oil when doing the heads.

You may find the schematic diagrams at http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/VP_Schematics/ useful

there is a workshop manual at http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads.html

And you can download an operators manual from
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_servic e/publication_search

BTW Please don't SHOUT"

"THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I WILL

"THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I WILL TAKE THE WATER PUMP OFF AND HAVE A LOOK. THIS BOAT IS A RECENT PURCHASE. THE PREVIOUS OWNER SAID HE HAD TROUBLES WITH IT OVERHEATING. HE WAS NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED. AT PURCHASE I DISCOVERED IT WAS A FAULTY THERMOSTAT AND REPLACED IT. THEN BOTH FUEL FILTERS, OIL CHANGE, AND REPLACED CRACKED HOSES, RUSTED CLAMPS AND FITTINGS. NOT TOO LONG AFTER OUT SAILING THE MOTOR HAD TROUBLE STARTING, WHEN IT DID IT STALLED AT LOW IDLE, AND LOTS OF WHITE SMOKE. I KNEW THE GASKETS WERE GONE. DID THE TOP END. NEW OIL AND FILTER, RAN IT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AROUND THE BAY, AND THE OIL IS STILL A LIGHT GREY COLOUR.

I WILL CHECK THE WATER PUMP, AND HOPEFULLY IT IS A QUICK FIX. OTHERWISE THE MOTOR IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, OTHER THAN HAVING SOMEONE WHO DID NOT LOOK AFTER IT FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS, SHE GOES WELL.

THANKS AGAIN, AND I WILL BE SURE TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT THE OUTCOME IS."

One of the things to look at i

One of the things to look at if you have overheating problems are the two channels in the exhaust manifold that link the inlet Tee piece underneath it to the cylinder heads. They are inclined to get choked up.

"THANKS VICS, WHEN I REMOVED T

"THANKS VICS, WHEN I REMOVED THE HEADS I ALSO TOOK THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD APART AND USED A WIRE BRUSH TO CLEAN THE CHANNELS OUT, AND THAT TEE WAS CLOGGED UP, SO WERE THE CHANNELS ON THE HEADS. SOMEONE ALSO HAD PUT THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS ON BACKWARD, SO I PLANED THE MATING SURFACE.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I AM NEW TO VOLVO PENTA MOTORS, BUT FROM WHAT I HEAR AROUND THE DOCKS THEY ARE A GREAT MOTOR."

Back