Logo

Hydro Lock

briang0

Regular Contributor
"I had something strange happe

"I had something strange happen tonight need some advice. BB Chevy went down and gased up. Afer I started her up engine bearly turned over and she started.
happy.gif
I let her idle for about 15 minutes smooth a silk. Shut the engine off and fished off the back. I never left the dock. About 30 minutes later I went to crank her over and the engine turned about 1/4 turn stopped I let up on the key and said a quick pray then tried agian and she fired right up. Am I being paranoid or is this hydro luck or almost hydro lock? I put new log manifolds on so I am a little uncertain with this new setup. Will hydro lock only happen when the engine shuts down? I have flappers on the exhaust pipes because I was a little nervious. I am just at 12 inches on the riser maybe a little less 1/2 inch not much more. I didn't have much of a choice because of the type of engine and age."

"If you are hydrolocked, you w

"If you are hydrolocked, you wont turn over at all, not even a little. Sounds like a weak battery, or a starter going bad. Starters will sometimes overamp when they are going bad and the battery will not be able to turn it over well."

"..."If you are hydrolocke

"..."If you are hydrolocked, you wont turn over at all, not even a little"

Not true! The starter can push the trapped water by an open valve, relieving the hydrolock. Had that happen to me several times, and even once when three cylinders had water in them.

This is a serious problem that can wreck your engine--bent rods, blown pistons, or even a destroyed block Don't try to start it when that happens--pull the coil wire out so it can't. Next, remove all of the plugs, keeping an eye out for water on each plug. Then crank it over. If you see water coming out a plug hole, make a note of which one(s).

Next comes determining WHY this is happening. I suspect your risers are not high enough--you can add spacers to raise them and correct this--or that the flappers need attention.

Don't let this go or else!

Jeff"

What do I measure from and whe

What do I measure from and where to in order to get the height of the riser. I checked and I could possibly get a riser that adds another 1.5 to the height but it stinks to have to buy them again. The risers that I currently have supply 7" I can buy ones that go to 8.5 I know that it is from the water line up but up to what. How do I find the water line on the inside. I know where it is on the outside. What height should it be?

I pulled two plugs tonight one

I pulled two plugs tonight one on each side they looked great. I measured the height of the riser about the water line it is 13+". I unplugged the coil and spun her over and she did the same but what I noticed was I think it's the starter. I have a 44 year young ring gear and it has several places on in that show where the starter gear has hit the teeth. I again spent an hour rotating the fly wheel and removing the burrs off the ring gear. I did this before I put her in. I stopped and starter her for a few minutes and she seems better. I checked and I can get a riser that is a little higher 1" the difference is it ends higher and raises the exhaust hose up much higher. I will have to think about this. Thanks for the help.

Back