Logo

454 starter engagement problem

brucesboat

"Starter on 1987 454 RH engine

"Starter on 1987 454 RH engine regularly does not engage. The starter gear rubs on the flywheel while the starter spins. After a few tries, it will engage fully. I've installed a new solenoid, done electrical checks to be sure full voltage is at the starter when running. Last Sunday, I oiled the shaft that the starter rear rides on and checked it on the bench. It operates fine every time. The front part of the gear is worn from rubbing on the flywheel. I filed the teeth on the worn area to be sure they weren't interfering. It is a rebuilt starter, but worked fine for the first year I had the boat. I don't understand the problem, so I'm concerned that a new one will have the same issue. Do these starters ever need shims? Thanks for your help."

I am having a similar issue wi

I am having a similar issue with my bb chevy. I replaced the starter this year because sometimes when I turn the key I would get a clunk and that was it. Other times I would hear the starter spin but not the engine. I replaced the starter and 1/2 the problem went away. After it will just go clunk and after bumping the key 4 or 5 times it will start. I checked the fly wheel through the timing hole in the bell housing and found several spots on the ring gear where the start gear would hit and not mesh. I spent 2 hrs with a small file and removed the burrs on just about ever tooth on the ring gear. It works much better but every now and then it still will go clunk. The ring gear will have to be replaced eventually. Check the teeth on the fly wheel see what you have.

Back