Logo

How does reverse lock lever work

"the reverse lock lever on my

"the reverse lock lever on my 90 HP rotates freely. Please tell me how it works and what I may need to assure it's working. Thanks,}"

"Bill,
Are you talking abou

"Bill,
Are you talking about the lock for the tilt feature of your outboard? If so, the locked position should keep the outboard latched so it don't tilt up when you are in reverse gear. Don't have it latched in forward gear or you can damage the lower end if you happen to hit something."

"thanks, dave. My lever rotat

"thanks, dave. My lever rotates freely and does not engage anything. I would like to know how to fix this so the lever would work properly."

"Bill,
Its a bit hard to de

"Bill,
Its a bit hard to describe. The knob turns a shaft that has an arm attached which connects to a linkage rod, which pulls on the latch that is spring loaded. It is meant to latch when the outboard is in the down position. All this happens in 180 degrees of revolution of your knob.
This is disabled or even removed when a tilt / trim system is in place. The tilt cylinder and check valves will control the reverse lift.
I don't have any decent pictures available. Even the remove and replace proceedure in the Service Manual is hard to make out. Maybe someone can post something decent for you.
Do you think you are missing parts?"

"I would like to bump this thr

"I would like to bump this thread.
As I also need to see a pic, or diagram, or part #, or something.

I have a linkage rod. but I am missing what is between rod and the control knob shaft on my late 80's 50hp Force.
Thanks."

Back