Logo

Stuffing tubes

jbthehut

"This is not really a crusader

"This is not really a crusader question but I wanted to tap into the knowledge base here for some advise. Had my 1977 32ft uniflite on the hard, while she was dry I took the opportunity to re-pack both stuffing tubes. I took her out yesterday for the first time since she has been back in the water. I back off on the adjustment as much as I thought would be prudent and took her out. As soon as we cleared the marina I got into the engine compartment to make the adjustments while the shafts were turning. By the time I got down there I had some water coming from both shafts and I had wax (or whatever the stuffing is impregnated with) dripping from both shafts. I check the temp of the fittings and both were running very hot (around 115 to 125 deg). I could not seem to get them adjusted to allow enough water to cool them down without it being way to much. I finally got both running at around 110deg with a drip every couple of seconds. But I have about 2 tablespoons full of wax material that has dripped from the shafts. Question are they to hot? Is it normal to loose some of the wax when first starting? or did I blow it from the start? Please, any advice would be most helpful."

Sounds like you need to switch

Sounds like you need to switch to Teflon packing. Works MUCH better.

Jeff

"JB,

The stuff Jeff recomme

"JB,

The stuff Jeff recommends is really good on our boat. We had switched to GFO packing material last season asn it did solve our dripping. Be sure to get the right size...we relied on the old stuff but as it turns out. The rudder shafts use 1/4 " and not the 3/16" that was in there So they still weep a bit.

I can't recommend that GFO enough...it is a very easy maintenance routine that you can almost forget about..."

Back