Logo

Control box on 1978 Del Magic deck boat

rogersp814

"Hello all and thanks for all

"Hello all and thanks for all the previous help.

Bought a 1978 Del Magic deck boat with a 1978 Mercury 115 hp. Love the boat and plan on keeping it a while. The shift handle is "sticky" and hard to operate. Key fits vertically underneath box and takes both hands to operate the choke and key. Is there a different type of control box I could replace this one with to make it easier to shift and start?

One last thing...

Engine seems to have lost a little power since I bought it. No alarms have activated. Gas mix is 50:1, 2 cylinder oil. Accelerates fine until almost full throttle. When I give it all the gas it has it seems to slow a little. Runs good but just seems to have lost power. Could it be that I needd to clean the carbs or change spark plugs? I'm a newbie and dont know much about engines but think I could handle that with the right advice. If so, what kind of plugs do I get and whats the gap?

Thanks again!!"

"Hello,
There is not much you

"Hello,
There is not much you can do with the box. It is kind of a poor design. Maybe the key was done that way to keep the water out. Running new cables to the motor will help free it up. And grease the wheels inside the box while you have it apart.

No alarms were used in these years. The carb's are a real PITA to do on these. It would not hurt to do a tune up, but is seems like maybe just a little linkge adjustment somewhere for the full throttle stopper that could have vibrated loose."

Back