Logo

Rebuilding the big water pump on a 21 liter motor

followingsea

Regular Contributor
"I've accumulated 4 used w

"I've accumulated 4 used water pumps from AQ 140's and AQ 125's (The automotive type that connects directly to the Heat Exchanger, not the little brass raw water pump).
These pumps are hard to find and EXPENSIVE! Has anyone rebuilt one or do you know a shop that can rebuild them? I'd like to keep one spare and sell the others.

It looks like you could press the pulley flange off and then press the shaft out of the pump body. What about finding the seals and bearings? Can't seem to find any good info. on this subject. Any help or advice would be appreciated."

"Well, since you asked for inp

"Well, since you asked for input, I think you could get the crappiest pump you have and try to press out the pulley; and, if successful, then remove the impeller and the bearing, then measure the seal and the bearing and try to get a replacement. Then, rebuild it.

You can even buy one of these and try to either adap it (good luck, unless you get an AQ131-style heat exchanger and tank), or see if you can transplant all the parts to yours (from my perspective, you may be lucky, but those are unchartered waters).

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=1733+11882+4294966739+5914

If the project goes wrong you only have one bad pump to loose (and maybe a new automotive one as well); but if it goes right, you could make a fortune on e-Bay selling rebuilt pumps.
biggrin.gif
"

Why didn't I think of the

Why didn't I think of the idea of fishing out the parts from a new car water pump. I might be able to save on my aq140 rebuild.

Thanks E.P. I hadn't thoug

Thanks E.P. I hadn't thought about buying a Volvo (auto) pump and using it for parts. They aren't that expensive and it's not a bad idea if the internal parts can't be found elsewhere. The pumps should be identical inside--it's just that one port that different.

"Well, Dennis, I don't kno

"Well, Dennis, I don't know how identical or different they are inside (when it comes to aftermarket parts you never know), but it may be worth giving it a try: lots to win if things go well and and little to loose if they don't.
biggrin.gif
"

"Good points E.P.. I'm st

"Good points E.P.. I'm still hoping to find some little shop or a machinist somewhere who can rebuild waterpumps.
If not, I'll go ahead and do it myself--it may get pushed back until fall though. I've got a long list of summer projects to work through. Getting close to "sea trials" time for my boat project. Here in the N.W. we've got to do all the outside stuff while the sun shines.

P.S.
If anyone is lurking out there and has the equipment and know-how to rebuild water pumps--maybe we can work out a swap? I've got a LOT of misc. older VP parts for the AQ series 2.1 liter motors, or you could end up with a waterpump or two. I'll cover the shipping and parts costs if anyone is interested."

"Here's an update. One of

"Here's an update. One of the guys reading this thread contacted me about rebuilding a pump for the 2.1 liter motor. He's only one state away, has a shop with the right equipment and offered to do a trial rebuild on one of my pumps. It's going out in today's mail.

This could be the start of a revolution to cut into the high price of older VP parts! I'll keep you all posted as the thing progresses."

"Progress report on rebuilding

"Progress report on rebuilding the pumps for 2.1 liter motors. Talked to the fellow VP owner down in Oregon yesterday morning. He had received the pump I sent him and said the old pump pressed apart relatively easily. The motor it came off(an AQ125a) had overheated and seized so the seal surfaces looked a little like toad's skin! Couldn't read full numbers.

I sent him my three remaining water pumps (each in better condition) so he'll have plenty to experiment with, get seal numbers, etc..

He thinks it shouldn't be a problem rebuilding these pumps. THIS IS GOOD NEWS FOR THOSE WITH THE OLDER 2.1 liter motors in need of a waterpump. He can give you all his contact info. if anyone is interested.

We should know later this week about availability of seals and bearings. We'll keep you all posted.

Later...."

"Ken,
Thanks for posting that

"Ken,
Thanks for posting that info and link. EXCELLENT discussion and further information. That will make things that much easier. I think with all this, people are going to lose their fear of rebuilding these pumps--and save a lot of $$.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Thanks alot Dennis! i have sen

Thanks alot Dennis! i have sent the bearing and seals to Arizona and they said they can match them without a problem. we shoul have 4 rebuilt water pumps shortly. im wondering if anyone knows if the aq125 a and b are the same pump? i was told "NO" by volvo.

If anyonr would like to email

If anyonr would like to email me about this feel free. j.kaiser123 @ gmail.com

Back