Logo

Electrical Puzzle

J

Jon Stern

"I could use some suggestions

"I could use some suggestions on this problem.

1984 Chris, dual 454's. Out for a run testing the starboard engine. Running at 2800 rpm, all is smooth. Out of the blue, port engine drops 200 rpm and quickly recovers, no backfire, just drop in rpm. It does it 2 more times, I slow down to idle to see if I could hear anytime. Both engines running smooth even with revving up (in neutral). Put them back in gear and apply the gas, at 1200 rpm port engine dies, no sputter, no backfire, just dies.

Restart not possible, engine won't turn over, electrical circuit dead. Get back to dock on the starboard engine and start to trouble shoot.

No power at the key switch or start button, no power at the coil. I started at the battery and worked forward. 12 volts at starter, 12 volts through the 50amp circuit breaker at the rear of the engine (located next to the coil resister). I'm not sure where the circuit goes from there. I shorted across low oil switch, nothing. Engine was running normally before shut down, water temp 140, oil pressure over 40.

This spring I installed a new electronic ignition, coil, resistor, plugs, wires, rebuilt the carbs, new fuel pump, new racors and secondary filters, high temp switch.

If any of the protective switches (water, temp) were bad, the engine would still turn over, but not start. Is this correct? If the module in the electronic ignition were bad, the engine would still turn over, but not start right?

Remember, no power at the helm, but 12 volts come into and out of the starter. Any ideas where I should be looking?

It seems like a bad ground or failed switch. I have not checked the battery selector switch, it could be there. Any other suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? Big weekend coming up with family coming aboard, sure would like to take them out for a ride and fishing.

Thanks in advance for your help."

"Whooo-eee! I love problems l

"Whooo-eee! I love problems like that--they are so....infuriating!

If the motor will not crank, jumper the solenoid and see if that does it.

If it will crank but not start, check for spark.

If it has spark but still won't start, CAREFULLY add a bit of gas to the carb (then put the flame arrestor back on) and see if that does it.

If still nothing, pull the plugs and see if they are fouled. If so, put in a new set and try again.

Good luck!

Jeff"

"It sounds simple, but check t

"It sounds simple, but check the ignition fuse. When I had my repower done the distributor was wired wrong and blew the fuse.
Steve"

Back