Logo

OMC power trim unit stuck release valve

wavejd

"Hi - I am having some intermi

"Hi - I am having some intermittent problems with my 40 HP Evinrude power trim / tilt unit. The motor is on the way out as it intermittently will not respond even though there is power to it (verified with a meter). Whacking the motor on the side usually wakes it up again.

What my bigger issue is that the release valve is frozen solid. The slotted screw head was also stripped by the previous owner.

Any suggestions on how to free a frozen release valve (I have tried penetrating oil, etc.). Not sure if heat is the answer because I don't want to damage the unit."

Jim.... One slip and you could

Jim.... One slip and you could kiss that PTT manifold unit goodbye. I'd suggest you remove the PTT assembly and have a reliable machine shop remove that release valve for you.

"Yeah - Thanks Joe - That is w

"Yeah - Thanks Joe - That is what I am afraid of. Since I have to pull the PTT unit to replace the motor, I guess your recommendation is the way to go.

Now, I get to have fun trying to get the top and bottom connecting rods out to remove the PTT unit....they are also frozen solid :-(

thank again,
Jim"

Back