Logo

Year model and parts help for 40hp mariner

J

Jeff Tudor

Can some one please tell me wh

Can some one please tell me what year model engine I have 40EL 6E9L 418488
I am also tring to find a water pump kit for It.
Thanks for any info.

"Jeff, that is a 1985 "C&#

"Jeff, that is a 1985 "C" model Mariner built by Yamaha for Mercury.

A complete waterpump kit is available from Merc (part number 84363T) but is pricey at about 115 bucks. Sierra, the aftermarket company did not make a kit for your model.

Even just an impeller from Merc, part number 47-99971M will set you back a little over 50 bucks.

You may want to try a Yamaha dealer if you are handy to one. They based your particular model on their models 40FM/40FE/40FEML which were produced between 81 and 83, so they may have parts and at a better price..."

Can someone help me. What is t

Can someone help me. What is the Year of my Mercury 40hp 2cyl engine with serial #6084491. And where do you find this info. Thank you so much.

"JP, that is a 1982 model.

"JP, that is a 1982 model.

I found it in my lists of serial/model correlation which was compiled, first by my father (starting in the 1940's) and then by myself for about the last 25 years or so.

Mercury, like most mfg's does not post lists etc for you to look this up yourself. Some builders (like OMC) encode the horsepower/year right into the model, however, most do not..."

"Hi Graham, (I guess).

"Hi Graham, (I guess).
Can you tell me the age of my recently obtained Mariner 9.9 serial number 09807705 please?
And can I obtain an owners manual from somewhere/anywhere?
Thanks in advance, I'm new to boats and outboards and have lots to learn. Looking forward to it too."

"Dave, that is a 1994 model. A

"Dave, that is a 1994 model. Although a Belgian built model it is identical to Mercs North American line of 6/8/9.9/15 horse motors of the same vintage.

Personally I believe that your particular model was the best built, most durable (10 horse - whether they call it a 9.8/9.9 etc) ever built by any mfg - period. I own two 9.9's, an 86 and an 87 model, both with over 2000 hours of use on each and have never done more than regular maintenance.

An owners manual is available from any Merc dealer (part number 90-10104971) and sells for about 22 bucks (US).

A great all round tune-up/repair manual is Seloc's "Mercury" manual for 1 and 2 cylinder motors (covering that vintage). It is available from this site (top right of this page) or numerous marine dealers for about 35 bucks. If you pick up a Selocs DO NOT get the Mariner manual - that particular book deals with Mariners built by Yamaha for Merc, your model is a Mercury model even though Yamaha built the powerhead and gears (ya it gets a little confusing sometimes)

If you are not overly familiar with outboards at this point, I would not suggest that you go right for a factory service manual yet (about 75 bucks) - it is designed to be used by a marine tech and assumes that you already know a significant bit about the motor you would be working on."

"Wow, Thanks Graham. Great rep

"Wow, Thanks Graham. Great reply and speedy too. Many thanks. I'm also glad to here you rate my engine as a good one."

Thanks for the info. I will tr

Thanks for the info. I will try my local dealer for the parts.
Jeff

Back