Logo

43L Differences between Marine and Automotive

"Russ. I tried to tell you ear

"Russ. I tried to tell you early on. the engine will work, but the cam is not the same. if you intend to change the cam anyway, you don't have a problem. just don't use automotive accessorys. (I assume you don't intend to) build your motor, and everybody stop bitching about it. again, good luck. S. (factory trained and certified, if that makes you feel better)"

Reliability and safety on the

Reliability and safety on the water are synonomous.

Loss of power during the right set of circumstances can very quickly turn form an inconvenience to a nightmare.

Big difference between cars and boats... you can get out of a car a walk when it breaks.

"Troy, if I were in a sub I`d

"Troy, if I were in a sub I`d feel alot more like you do but for a boat that is used no more than a few miles offshore and from a Coast Guard Station with 24/7 radio coverage and use in the larger local rivers I don`t feel at all like I`m risking anything to use an engine that started life as a truck engine.

For a CWO3 you seem just a wee bit melodramatic when we`re talking about a pleasure boat. I`m sorry but I don`t indiscrimanantly swallow pretense, unless I`m entirely misreading you, then I`m sorry but you`ll have to let me know if I am."

"Thanks Scott, I`m sorry that

"Thanks Scott, I`m sorry that I didn`t make it clear that I was replying to you earlier.

I do appreciate knowing that your are a Certified Tech but frankly I could have been satisfied if someone said anything to the effect of "I`ve been there and done that, and it will/won`t work because of.......", not just because one came from Mercury and the other came directly from Chevy. I guess that you already knew that though, sorry for the verbosity. ;)

Have a good one!"

"John H,

I think that the a

"John H,

I think that the answer has mostly been fleshed out here, although the generation of the engines is important. Some of the 4.3s have I believe 8 bolts through the intake into the head and later 4.3s have 12 bolts, but the bottom line appears to me that if you either salvage the critical parts from the original marine engine and install them on the auto engine, or buy them new for installation, you can use an auto engine for replacement.

The post by "Me" offered many of the small details to consider and as Scott and many others have stated, the cam will need to be changed. None of these changes are a big deal to me however I have no idea what your level of mechanical ability is so you may have to consider what it would cost you to have someone do the work for you?"

"RussC:

""enough sa

"RussC:

""enough said" statement is akin to saying "I`m smarter than you so you`d better be quiet"."

On the contrary it only meant that this issue has been chewed forever like a cow's cudd. I'm not a certified mechanic and can only pass on what I have learned from others that are certified or just experienced in what they are talking about.

You seem to get a kick out of slapping others around until you get what you want and probably already are knowledeable about. The members of this board are all volunteers and enjoy helping others out that truly have a need for information about which they do not know.

I, for one, am glad that you posted your issue for discussion. You made your points and intentions clear in all of your long-winded postings by continually challenging everyone that responded to you. While everyone was spending time cowtowing to you, other posters in sincere need of help have been neglected this day. Thank you for your posting and please post the results of your engine swap."

"Guy, Rod, Bondo, Hystat, &#40

"Guy, Rod, Bondo, Hystat, (et al.),
If I start answering another one of these posts, please come and smack me."

russc you seem to be very crit

russc you seem to be very critical of everyones answer and self centered as you put more words on this forum than most of us do in a year.why don't you buy a manual or two and gouge your self with all the info then you can be an expert.actually i thought you were ABBY diagnosing every ones low points[in your opinion] have a good day

"We should be able to just ref

"We should be able to just refer them to the new resident expert.
whistle.gif
"

"Guy,

My most sincere apolo

"Guy,

My most sincere apologies to you given your explanation of your statement "enough said". I took what you said the wrong way.

I openly admit that my posts were long winded. I`ve been involved in internet forums for pushing 15 years and I`ve seen far too many posts which don`t provide enough information to work with, where you then end up with 10 pages of back and forth between the guy asking the questions and the guys trying to help him out before they know what the actual question was and the pertinent details, I wanted to avoid that unnecessary back and forth and to a certain extent have done so.

This is also why I read through the archives prior to posting my question, how many times have you wished that a new poster would do that?

Unfortunately, I also saw a distinct trend as I read through the archives on this topic, generally the respondents would answer questions about using auto engines in boats in somewhat vague terms, often alluding to but never completely fleshing out all of the differences. Some people, I put myself in this group, both need to know what the differences are and feel confident to determine how important those differences are to us.

For example, I`m not the least bit concerned about using non-stainless head gaskets in my fresh water only boat. The stainless head gaskets are a primary difference between marine and auto engines but it`s a difference that just isn`t important to me, probably just like the spring rates aren`t going to be important to me and the combustion chamber volume, unless vastly different is not important to me. I am not building a race boat, I just want something that first of all is going to work to propel the boat to and from the fishing, and second, will run well at low rpms as we troll with the downriggers. It`s a fishing boat plain and simple however I am confident that if the auto 4.3 will work for me, it will work for a person pleasure cruising or pulling a tuber.

I was not however, educated on this topic before coming here, I now have a much better understanding of what I`m up against thanks to several posters, including you, Guy. This isn`t rocket science so the uptake isn`t that difficult, a few well placed leads by guys such as yourself, Scott, "ME" et al gave me the threads that I needed to pull to conquer my lack of knowledge on this subject, the final test will come when I do the actual teardown and installation.

Now I do have to disagree with your assertion that I slapped everyone around. Was I brusque? More than likely, after seeing the quality of the initial replies which suggested I was a fool and inconsiderate of my son`s safety.

Did I openly and clearly state in the beginning of thread that I didn`t want opinions, just the factual differences? I think I did. Through my vocation I have been on both ends of Incident Command communications for 23 years and have thus learned to focus what I`m saying and to focus the instructions or reports back to me which are meant to be primarily devoid of opinion. Certainly not the most personable way of communicating but very effective. At least I didn`t try to get repeat backs out of you guys!

So in summary, I don`t consider myself anyone`s savior, but once and for all it seems that the topic of can an auto 4.3 be used in place of a marine 4.3 has been fleshed out enough to be clear to anyone with at least a modicum of mechanical understanding. If all new posters would read the archives you will never have to answer this question again, and frankly I think that some of you have also learned a thing or two in this thread about the 4.3s.

In regard to other posters who needed your help while you were here posting a reply to me, well c`mon guys, you choose where to post, I can`t make anyone reply to my thread and in fact it seems like everyone avoided it for about a day initially, and second, how long did it take any of you guys whose knowledge base resources were being wasted on me to make the couple of very brief posts that you made?

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to get the swap done in my spare time, I`ll post the results here and then this thread can become even more of a resource for those with the same questions. I`m sure that I`ll find a trap or two and maybe my mistake will save someone else from the same aggravation.

<font size=""+2"">A HEARTY THANKS TO ALL WHO POSTED HELPFUL INFO!</font>

And a special thanks to Troy for another useful post on 7/1/08 @0627!"

"So mrpops, one becomes an exp

"So mrpops, one becomes an expert by gouging(sp) themselves on a manual or two? If it`s so simple, how then is it that you haven`t yet achieved such status?
lol.gif

I put more words on here than many of you because I want clear messages, hard to understand, eh?"

RussC:

Apology accepted. I

RussC:

Apology accepted. I also have trolled w/a 4.3L & 2BBL carb. but can't get it below 600 RPMs. For most trolling I use my 24 volt 65 lb. thrust Minnkota. Walleyes like the slower speed.

"Thank You Guy, very benevolen

"Thank You Guy, very benevolent of you.

We also have a large Minnkota troller with foot steering, a very nice unit indeed.

I have no idea what pitch prop our boat has as we`ve never needed to replace it, the spare I believe to be a 19", but it will slow right down and on the southeastern shore of Lake Ontario it seems that I`m always fighting wind or waves so the engine is always slightly throttled up.

The trolling motor is great in the Oswego, Seneca, Oneida, Salmon, and Little Salmon rivers where we`ve gone."

Back