Logo

99 drive gear

brokewhilefixin

"I have a 1998 9.9 johnson the

"I have a 1998 9.9 johnson the gear on the end of the drive shaft that meshes with the prop drive is striped. my problem is i can't get it out.the drive shaft came out with little effert.prop shaft won't come out and there is no wayto get the gear out the top. does anyone have any helpful tricks up their sleeve,to remove the gear from the end of the drive?please help thanks"

"Looking at [url=""]This drawi

"Looking at This drawing from the BRP parts catalog It would seem that once the prop, the busing, the thrust bushing, the seal and the bearing are removed followed by the seal and bearing housing that the reverse gear #8 together its bearing and thrust washer can be removed.

If the shaft is then withdrawn the other components will be released into the casing. Then if the dog clutch #12 is released from its cradle #36 and yoke #13 it should then be possible to remove the pinion but it will probably be necessary to unscrew the shift rod from the yoke and also remove the pivot pin #14.

It may be necessary to drive the pinion out from above and it may be necessary to use a slide hammer to pull out the prop shaft.

That's what I think anyway. Perhaps someone will know better but in the absence of any other replies that's my take on it.

You'll be told to buy a manual I bet!

Fiddling it all back together may be fun but you did not ask about that
lol.gif
"

"If the gear case has been run

"If the gear case has been running without oil, the forward gear might have 'welded' itself (bushing melted) to the prop-shaft.
At least the bearing housing should be possible to remove and thus give more answers."

Back