Logo

1984 75hp mercury outboard Canbt engage reverse shift

daddio

1984 or so. 7.5hp Mercury O/B

1984 or so. 7.5hp Mercury O/B
motor runs well in forward and neutral but will not shift into reverse. Shift handle won't move backwards into reverse and I don't want to force it. Your help would be appreciated.

"John, you may have an issue i

"John, you may have an issue in the linkage. It's located (kinda) under the powerhead, just behind the carb.

There is a steel spring that (locks in) to a cam to keep the motor in whichever gear you have selected - kinda tough to explain (for me anyhow) but will include a diagram.

In any event, this spring may have either broke or seized in position - not totally uncommon on an older motor especially if reverse was used little or not at all.

Alternately, the lobes on the cam may have worn down significantly between neutral and forward from use leaving the "reverse lobe" significantly "larger" from lack of use so that the spring is jamming against it when you try to shift into reverse.

In the pic #37 is the spring I am referencing, #38 is the keeper for that spring which additionally just may be tightened down a little too much - you could undo screw #39 (or just loosen it) and see if it will shift into reverse.

The cam #34 is what has to rotate to change the gears - it in turn moves part #41 which rotates the shaft which changes the gears in the lower unit.

191948.jpg
"

"Graham, Thanks for your help

"Graham, Thanks for your help. I will look at the items as you suggested and I'll let you know what happens."

Back