Logo

Hot Exhaust manifold

bookerhf

"I just bought a 1995 Four Win

"I just bought a 1995 Four Winns with a 4.3L OMC/Cobra and noticed the passanger side exhaust manifold has been running hotter that the drivers side. Today it got so hot that the rubber connector on the passanger exhaust manifold started smoking. The drivers side was cool to the touch and the motor temp stayed at 150, but I had to pour water on the other side to cool it dow to get back to the dock. Any Ideas? Thanks!"

"Is this raw water cooled or f

"Is this raw water cooled or fresh water (heat exchanger), do you boat in salt water? I would suspect either a bad exhaust manifold or riser (plugged up) or a restriction further downstream, possibly an exhaust flapper partially stuck closed?"

Raw water cooled used in fresh

Raw water cooled used in fresh water only. I'm going to start pulling things apart tomorrow to look for restrictions.

"Check that exhaust flapper fi

"Check that exhaust flapper first just down inside the Y pipe, if it's not there it could have gotten loose and wedged in somewhere further down causing the restriction, sometimes they can get as far down as the exhausr bellows right at the drive."

Found the problem. The thermo

Found the problem. The thermostat housing was clogged with gunnky rust on the port side and it wasn't allowing any water through. I cleaned it out and it's cooling great now. Thanks!

I have 1991 omc 5.7 that runs

I have 1991 omc 5.7 that runs a little hotter on one side than the other about 10 to 15 degrees any ideas.

Back