Logo

Lower unit oil change in a b74 5HP Clinton Wards Sea King

A

Andy B

"It's just not obvious. Th

"It's just not obvious. There doesn't appear to be an obvious vent plug or drain plug; just the 4 screws that hold the prop gear assembly. I tried backig a couple of those out to see if I could squeeze oil in - no luck. I ordered a manual, but it may not get here before I would like to use the motor. I bought this one from someone who had it shipped to them and it had been drained, so i need to now how to make sure it has all fluids. I have cranked it, but shut it off quickly in case there was no lube."

"I've looked at a couple m

"I've looked at a couple manuals I have here of similar SeaKing motors and they appear to be like most other outboards. On the side of the motor leg, on the lower part of the gear case there should be a large screw that requires a standard screwdriver to remove it, and above the gear case there is a smaller one for venting. They are usually marked fill and vent. Hopefully that is what you are looking for. Remember, fill from the bottom until the gear oil comes out the top. Then quickly reinstall the bottom screw so the oil doesn't leak out. After a bit of use, check to make sure that the oil isn't milky. If so, you have a bad seal."

"No, there are no such screws.

"No, there are no such screws. Does anyone have info on this specific motor?"

"Here is a link to a picture:

"Here is a link to a picture:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/arbarnhart/5HPmotor4.jpg"

the other side is a miror image. There 4 screws that hold the prop gear casing together (2 per side, all at the same height). There are no other screws down on the foot of the motor. I have filled other motors and am familiar with how it usually is done. This one is puzzling."

"I had my hopes up for the wee

"I had my hopes up for the weekend that someone that knew this motor would post. There sure are a bunch of them out there. I felt all along the motor foot in hopes that there were screws hidden under globs of paint. There are none. If my manual doen't get here by Thursday I guess I will take the gear housing apart and look from the inside. I really hope to avoid that, but I don't want to run it dry.
This seemed like the most likely spot to get info from searching. If anyine knows a better one, please email me (I included my email address this time; I generally wait to sign up and/or provide details until I determine a forum is useful - that is whay I am a "Guest").

-Andy"

"Replying again for completene

"Replying again for completeness.
My manual came. You turn the motor upside down and take all 4 screws off and take the gear housing cover off to change it. They refer to what goes in there as grease with a Clinton part number (I will have to give Slick Willie a call and see if he has any
lol.gif
). Strange. I will do it either tonight or tommorow night and have outboard lower unit oil and bearing grease on hand. The tough thing will be deciding what to do if it is in fact actually dry (it was supposedly drained of all fluids for shipping before storage)."

"The running monologue continu

"The running monologue continues...

It really is grease. You don't need lower unit oil for this motor, you need grease. I used wheel bearing grease because I had some and the consistency is similar to what was there. It really wasn't in bad shape; I probably could have left it. The grease that was in there was cream/tan colored, so I could see whee it was getting gray/silver around the gears (not too much). I guess it didn't count as fluid when the engine had to drained. The istructions were not super clear, but made it sound like the engine needed to be upside down. It really didn't. Just a little more than sideways would be fine. I am done with this thread; just thought I would follow up for the next guy who gets one and scratches his uhm.. head and tries to figure out where the lube vent/fill screws are..."

Back