Logo

1993 75 HP mercury shift shaft problem

K

Kevin McKee

"I was installing a new impell

"I was installing a new impeller and seals (the seals were bad, leaking water into lower unit). When I removed the black plastic "retainer" that holds the shift shaft in place, the shaft came up and out with the retainer. I did put it in FORWARD before I removed the lower unit. Now, when I install the shift shaft it just spins freely, it will not shift out of forward. PLEASE HELP!! My maintenance book does not touch at all on this problem"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
uhoh.gif
If you get lucky it drop back in if you did not tip the case. If not you will be taking the case apart to look for the pawl peice."

"Bandit,

Do you know of any

"Bandit,

Do you know of any websites where I can get info on taking apart the unit? Or maybe if you could give me a hint on how to get the bearing carrier out? When the shaft came out the unit was on it's side, I didn't think the shaft was going to pop out."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
sad.gif
You are supposed to do that upright only and let the shaft move. There are two bolts holding the carrier on. You need a suitable puller, but it will come out. Find something to wedge in there to keep the jaws spread apart. The reverse gear will stay with it. Than the shaft and foward gear will come out. The hard part is not loosing the 3 roller bearings between the shift plunger halfs and getting it put back in. Behind the foward gears there is a space where the pawl sits a cavity.

My advise at this point is to get a factory manual from Merc that details this prossess. Or you may never get it put back right."

"Bandit,

Thank you so much

"Bandit,

Thank you so much for your time and advise! I did read through the manual (the crap one that combines all the engines together) and it didn't say anything about keeping it upright, very depressing. I think I'll find a marine mechanic to fix this, I'm good with the engines, but when it comes to the lower unit I don't have enough experience. Again, THANK YOU!!"

Back