Logo

1981 Mercury 80 hp Problems

teelmc

"Bought boat (after sittin

"Bought boat (after sitting for two years) with 80hp Mercury that was having problems running after warming up. it would lose power and only Idle after 15 to 20 min running. Had boat shop look at it and had them replaced the stator, rebuild the carbs and fuel pump and the basic seasonal maintenance. I Also replaced the gas tanks and fuel lines. Took it the water and started and Idled great in Neutral but fell on its face under load. The more the throttle the worse it would get. took it back to boat shop and he went through the carbs again and all tested good electrically and with the fuel system. On the water again and still same problems. I am stumped on what the problem (s) could be. anyone with some advise?"

"Hi there,

Is the ignition

"Hi there,

Is the ignition timing advancing?

How's the compression?

Is the gas fresh? Oil mixed at 50:1? Could be too rich on oil.

Get an opinion from another shop.

Best of luck!

Benjamin."

"Hey thanks for the reply. He

"Hey thanks for the reply. He used his own fuel because that's what we though might have been the problem. No luck. The ignition timing ??? I have no clue.(thunderbolt Ignition. The compression checked out all at 130 with the lower cylinder being 110. After the boat shop tried to get it running on the water, he mentioned that the only thing he could think was wrong would be a crank seal. (small amount of blue smoke in exhaust).

My thoughts were to get a second opinion. And thats probably what I will do.

Chad"

It is a 2 stroke so you will g

It is a 2 stroke so you will get the blue smoke in the exhaust and that is a good thing.Try opening up the low speed jets 1/8 turn at a time untill it accelerates smoothly.

IS there any kind of exploded

IS there any kind of exploded diagram of these carbs online anywhere? Still have not found the remedy to this problem. 2 stroke 4cyl.

Thanks

Well I finally got the boat ba

Well I finally got the boat back from a different boat shop and they solved the problem (only after one unsuccessful trip to the lake). The problem was the throttle linkage it was loose and needed adjusted. Boat runs great. thanks for the replies and assistance.

Chad

Back