Logo

Rough Idling and hard starting

myke48

"I just installed a new stator

"I just installed a new stator and trigger,,engine ran rough and hard to start the same before installation,,,I replaced the stator and trigger due to corroding wires.
The fly wheel can only be installed one way as there is a spline small splines then large spline ,no seperate key to line up the flywheel.
Started it up,,hard to start,,then ran rough,,I noticed the fuel filter is trasparent and the fuel was below the inlet and outlet ends I had to pump bulb to get the fuel up where I thought it should be. I took the front cover off and turned the carb adjustments back a quarter or so a turn,,it seemed to run smoother but the rev's got higher also,,so I adjusted them back the way they were till I could get more info on it.I found TDC on #1 piston and where the timing marks are it was on the zero
Any body have suggestions??
Thanks in advance,,,Mike"

"Don't know what you have

"Don't know what you have Mike, but it is my understanding when ever you replace parts like that you always have to do a link & sync again. Just because the TDC is correct you cant assume the idle timing and high rpm timing is correct. Get a timing light and follow steps to link & sync, see what happens. Just a suggestion."

"did you check compression and

"did you check compression and spark, the fuel pump works off the compression cycles"

"I installed new stator &

"I installed new stator & Trigger and ran rough,,I reset timing pointer with dial indacator and started up first turn and strong,,,,now I want to do link & Sync,,,do I need a special tank or can I use a large 50 gallon drum or 35 gallon garbage can,,or do I need water to do the link & sync?"

"I used the "ears" tha

"I used the "ears" that attach to garden hose and slide over water inlet at lower unit. Most of adjustments are cranking engine over, not running. Once you set everything you can start with ears on but do not rev it up, the motor is NOT under a load and you dont want to blow it up. A test tank or putting boat in water will allow for higher rpms. A can or drum will work, just be prepared to get a little wet."

Back