Logo

Mercury Sport Jet 175hp V6 engine HELP Mechanics

wulfekej

"I Found this '98 Sea Rayd

"I Found this '98 Sea Rayder with this engine for 450 dollars. Boat is great. Engine is seized though. The guy told me its from sitting for almost 3 years, but I'm not too sure. Any mechanics out there know of this engine? Are they known to seize up? What would be the likey problem? Is it worth fixing? Would a simple rebuild kit get it up and running? Or could it be seized up from not getting oil?
Would I be too optimistic to think that I could just remove the plugs and soak the heck out of it with oil to free it up?
I would appreciate any information on this..I'm really intested in buying this boat.. But not interested in spending 4000 dollars for a rebuilt engine."

These motors had a history of

These motors had a history of problems.The oil pump drive gear is plastic----- everyone knows that few sport jets are run like an outboard----It is a constant idle to full throttle to idle and that oil pump set-up was not up to the task.I have one of these engines on the shelf ----plastic drive gear melted / stripped. Simple really.

"So you suspect the sieze is d

"So you suspect the sieze is due to the plastic gear stripping? If so, is it totally screwed? What would I be looking at to get it fixed/rebuilt?"

"Depends on where you live, so

"Depends on where you live, some places you find mechanics with a good heart / lots of used parts / and lots of knowhow. Then in other places they say " buy a new one " just depends on who you know."

Back