Logo

Reinstalling the lower unit

trudie2

"hey all,
i have a 1990 60 hp

"hey all,
i have a 1990 60 hp evinrude. i recently rebuilt the water pump/new impeller. i dropped the l.u. just as the manual said. after reinstalling it and firing it up to check it on the muffs, it would only run in reverse while the control box is shifted in forward and reverse. i dropped it down again reread the manual for reinstalling it. it said to pull out on the shifting rod while installing the l.u. i did that and everything was out of whack on shifting it. i did turn the shift shaft this way and that with needle nose pliers in order to get the hole in the shaft to hook back into the shift rod. did i screw this thing up???? reading other posts i realized that shift rod is threaded and i believe i am out of whack on the height from the top of the lu to the hole in the shifting shaft. anyone know the height?? if i am off on the height would this cause the issues with not shifting to match the control box shifter. also does the "jog" in the shifting shaft point towards the port side or the starboard side of the motor??"

"3 cyl-- 1978-UP 21-23/32&#34

"3 cyl-- 1978-UP 21-23/32"standard length shaft ,measure from top of gearcase,to center of shift rod hole..In NEAUTRAL,make sure u get it reconnected to shift lever up top.offset to port."

Back