Logo

150 EVINRUDELOSS OF POWER

P

PAUL JAWOR

" JOE-HAVE NO POWER AT TAKE OF

" JOE-HAVE NO POWER AT TAKE OFF. ONLY RUNS TO 4000 RPM.POWER PACK JUST REBUILT LAST WEEK.TOOK TWO MONTHS TO FIX,PART BACKORDERED? CARBS WERE REBUILT TWO MONTHS BEFORE.GET SPARK AT ALL CYLINDERS,100 COM. ALL CYLINDERS.PUT NEW PLUGS IN,RAN ENGINE. 4 PLUGS HAD SOME CARBON DEPOSITS,TWO PLUGS HAD NONE? JUST THE TIPS OF THE 2 PLUGS LOOKED USED.PLEASE HELP,COSTING LOT OF MONEY! DEALER WERE P/PACK REBUILT SAYS CARBS NEED
TO BE REBUILT,GAS USED NOWADAYS IS NO GOOD! GOES BAD FAST! "

"Paul... Sounds like you'r

"Paul... Sounds like you're only obtaining power on four cylinders. If you've got good compression and spark that will jump a 7/16 gap (with the s/plugs out) on all cylinders, the problem would have to be fuel related. YOu say that the engine took two months to be fixed and that the carbs were rebuilt two months before that... means that the carbs have been sitting for four (4) months. They could foul in that length of time.

Remove the large black plastic carburetor face plate and start the engine. With the engine running, stick two fingers in the top left carburetor throat which will act like a choke, then repeat the process with the right top throat, center left throat etc etc. The engine will have a tendency to slow down on the carbs that are okay... but will increase in rpms when you do the carb that's fouled. Clean that one. Keep me informed.

Curious.... you had the p/pack rebuilt or simply replaced?

Joe
"

" While reading this message I

" While reading this message I couldn't help but ask about my 1990 115hp evinrude. after trolling for a bit I loose all throttle response so full throttle is the same as 1/4 throttle. This lasts between a few seconds and a few minutes. Serviced all fuel system including carbs, changed plugs, now wondering if it might be electrical like trigger or power pack. This only started a few weeks ago and never happens right when I go out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Gregg "

" JOE-RAN ENGINE TESTED WITH T

" JOE-RAN ENGINE TESTED WITH TWO FINGERS IN EACH
CARB THROAT. THE TOP LEFT ONE INCREASED IN POWER
A FEW SECONDS THEN FELT FUEL ON FINGERS AN ENGINE
SLOWED DOWN,DID SAME THING TO SECOND CARB ON RIGHT
RPM'S WENT UP,NO FUEL FELT ON FINGERS IN THROAT.
WILL TAKE THAT CARB APART TODAY! P/PACK I THINK
WAS SENT OUT TO BE REBUILT! PAUL "

" JOE-TOOK THE TWO CARBS APART

" JOE-TOOK THE TWO CARBS APART. CLEANED JETS,FOUND
FLOATS WERE WAY OFF ON ADJUSTMENT.INSTEAD OF BEING
PARALLEL, THE FLOATS WERE OFF BY ALMOST 1" ON BOTH
CARBS.FIXED THE FLOATS REINSTALLED CARBS,RUNS LIKE
NEW! HAVE ALL THE POWER BACK! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. PAUL "

Back