Logo

Starter trouble

blue_bayou

"I have recently bought a 1987

"I have recently bought a 1987 Sea Ray with a GM 4 cylinder 3liter engine. Two weeks before I bought the boat the starter and fly wheel had been replaced by the previous owner. It started and ran great for about the first 14 times and then the starter went bad. Found out that the alternator had been disconnected and was not charging the batteries.This may have burnt out the old starter?
Now I have replaced the starter,charged the batteries,cleaned connections, and reconnected the alternator. The new starter was working fine for the first 4 boat trips but it also seems to be burning up. The starter will start cold, but after the starter warms up the starter has trouble staying engaged and cuts out even with the key still turned. What could be burning the starters out and what steps should be taken to find the problem?What about resistance in the cables? Thanks in Advance."

""Found out that the alter

""Found out that the alternator had been disconnected and was not charging the batteries."

Shouldn't hurt your starter.

Make sure all the connections are clean and very tight at the battery, starter and at the ground wire where it connects to the engine. I bet you have connection problems."

"I agree w/MistaHays on the co

"I agree w/MistaHays on the connection problem.
Use a DV meter to check for a voltage drop in the cable between the starter end and the battery. If the battery is fully charged and the voltage reads 13.50 volts then the voltage at the starter should be no less than 13.40 volts. Cables will corrode internally including the ground cable.

The alternator cable will do the same thing. Measure the output at the starter end and then the alternator. The engine need not be running.

Just see what the voltage is on the starter end of the alt. cable (orange wire) and then check at the alt. end. If it drops at the alt. end by more that 0.10 volt then change the cable. Remember this test is a reverse voltage check for resistance w/o running the engine.

New battery cables should be just long enough to leave some slack in it. You don't want a 6' positive cable for a 2' run to the starter.

I make my own using copper connecters and solder the wires to them; need a propane torch or a big soldering iron. Clean the connector and wire and add flux to both. Heat the connector held in a vice and add solder to fill it 1/2 way. While the solder is liquid, jam the cable end into it and hold it steady because it will set up NOW. Apply enough heat to the connector base to remelt the solder and add more if needed.

Slip a piece of shrink tubing over the wire first and move it away from the hot wire until the wire is cold. Then slip it over the connector and shrink it w/a match or lighter."

Thanks for the advice Guy and

Thanks for the advice Guy and MistaHays. I am also starting to believe it is the wires since the boat was in salt water. My next step is to change the wires out. Hope to see you on the water.Blue Ba-you

Back