Logo

Rear crank oil seal replacement

ants

"Hi, well I finally got the en

"Hi, well I finally got the engine back in my rebuild project boat and got it running, however my joy was shortlived when I noticed afterwards fresh oil on the forward flywheel cover plate. Lifted engine back out and removed flywheel, but was then stuck to see how I can go any further.

pic here: http://www.anthonybradley.plus.com/IMG_3492.JPG

I think the oil is coming from the crankshaft seal rather than the oilpan gasket, but how do I get that mounting off the end of the crankshaft? I have a horrible feeling it will require removing the crackshaft and pressing it out to slide the seal off, or is the oil seal in two halves and I need to drop the oil pan?

Unfortunatly I only have the mercruiser manual for the later version of the engine which seems to have a very different arrangement, and the seloc manual in only useful for wiping oil up with.

I only ran the engine for about 10 secs (although had cranked it alot to get it started), and enough leaked to notice (although it could have been leaking whilst stationary / at an angle fitting it). On one hand I am tempted to just put engine in and try using it otherwise I will never get this boat on the water this summer, on the other hand I hate the idea of fitting an engine that I know leaks and might need to comne right back out :-(

So any ideas whats involved and how big a job it is?

Thanks

Anthony"

yeah... you need to put a rear

yeah... you need to put a rear main seal in it before you put it back in. What engine is that? I haven't seen that flange before.

"It's whole lot less work

"It's whole lot less work changing it now, than having to pull the engine again to do it later."

"Yes I know your right, just g

"Yes I know your right, just gutted that I cant fianlly put boat back together :-(

Have just managed to download the correct Mercruiser manual and it has a page on replacing the seal. Not that detailed, but as suspected drop oil pan and pull / replace two halves around shaft. Only problem is I dont really have any way to turn engine upside down and hold it, so will have to do it all from underneath whilst its hung from the hoist.

If anyone has done this before on this type of engine please get in touch.

Thanks

Anthony"

Back