Logo

Yamaha 2 stroke or 4 stroke

B

buzz barber

"i am looking at purchasing ne

"i am looking at purchasing new outboards for my outfitting business and am wondering if i should go with 9.9 4 strokes, i have yamaha 9.9 2 strokes right now. i have heard the 4 strokes dont troll slow enough, is this true? any info you could give me about these motors would be great.
thanks"

"There are positives and negat

"There are positives and negatives to each of these engine types. Because of the light weight, 2-Stroke engines are chosen when good top end speed and acceleration is needed. 4-Stroke engines run smoother and more economical, and are usually chosen for use on lakes and rivers.

2-Stroke Outboard Motors:
2-Stroke engines are lighter and faster, allowing for more top end speed and acceleration. They are also more affordable and have a higher resale value. Because 2-Stroke engines have been around for almost 80 years; necessary parts are more readily available, making repair easier. The design on these engines is less complex than that of a 4 stroke engine, which allows for fewer problems to arise.

There are also some cons to buying a 2-Stroke engine. These engines are not as environmentally friendly, and produce more pollution and smoke. In the non oil injection models; is necessary to mix gas with oil. These engines are noisier, have a rougher idle, and are sometimes difficult to start. There are also some problems with spark plugs fouling.

Boaters who would be most likely to choose a 2-Stroke outboard engine if they are interested in speed, performance, and acceleration. This may be the engine of choice if you own a smaller boat that may not be able to hold the weight of a 4-Stroke engine. A 2-Stroke engine is also suitable if you are more familiar with engine repairs, or even want a motor that is easy to repair and can be brought anywhere to be fixed. If you are not required to operate in a body of water that is for four stroke engines only, you may want to purchase a 2-Stroke. If you would like the most power for weight of the engine, or interested in more speed, acceleration, and performance; a 2-Stroke engine is for you.

4-Stroke Outboard Motors:
4-Stroke engines run quieter and idle smoother, allowing for a more pleasurable ride. They are safer for the economy with less pollution and smoke, and are better on fuel. They are accepted on all bodies of water. These engines are also very reliable.

The negative aspects of a 4 stroke engine are that they are more complex, which allows for more problems to arise. When repair is needed; it is more expensive, hard to find trained mechanics, and limited parts on the market. 4-Stroke engines are also less powerful 2-Stroke engines. Because they weigh more than 2-Stroke engines, they may be too heavy for some smaller boats.

You are most likely to use a 4 stroke engine if you are interested in trolling along on a quiet, smooth ride. These engines are better for use on bigger boats. If you would rather give up engine speed and acceleration for a cleaner engine, you may want to purchase a 4-Stroke. Also, if you are interested in less pollution and smoke, and don’t want to have to mix oil; a 4-Stroke engine is for you.

Manufacturers:
2-Stroke: Evinrude, Yamaha, Nissan and Mercury.
4-Stroke: Johnson, Honda, Mercury, Nissan, Suzuki, Tohatsu and Yamaha.

Both 2 and 4-Stroke engines have advantages and disadvantages. You need to decide how you are going to use your motor, and what you want it to do for you. Because 4-Stroke engines are newer, they are continually improving to make purchase and repair easier on the boater."

"Buzz, can you even buy a new,

"Buzz, can you even buy a new, 2-stroke engine from Yamaha anymore? The 2-stroke Nissan 8 hp, long shaft with electric start was very popular among the trimaran sailboat racers, but I understand Nissan quit making them two years ago. Have not been able to find any old stock."

"Go for the two stroke you wil

"Go for the two stroke you will not have any problems with it, the small four strokes can have carby problems as well as when you carry them in your car you have to make sure that you lay them the correct way up or they will leak engine oil all over the place, the fuel usage is not that much different."

Back