Logo

Engine steam

tbrodes

Regular Contributor
"Hey guys. I have twin 454 eng

"Hey guys. I have twin 454 engines. Replaced both impellors. Both engines are FWC and run at 165-170. However, port will never stean, but starboard will. What's the deal???"

"[b]"However, port will ne

""However, port will never stean, but starboard will."

Ayuh,...

Where,..?? How,..?? From the Rad. Cap,..??

Is it Over-pressurizing,..?? Blown Headgasket,..??"

"Sorry I was so general. The e

"Sorry I was so general. The exhaust port on the starboard engine steams while the port exhaust does not...trying to find out why....also, how much oil does a 1991 Crusader 454 hold??"

"Ayuh,....

Steam in the exh

"Ayuh,....

Steam in the exhaust has more to do with Humidity than anything,...
After all,.. The water is exhausted with the exhaust anyways,....

as far as Oil capacity,...
It'll take Atleast 5qts... Who knows which oil pan was installed.... Throw in 5,+ Check the Dipstick, then Add more til Full...."

"You may check to see if it is

"You may check to see if it is running too lean. Had a vacuum leak under one of my carbs and it caused excessive steam. If the steam is even with both engines then no worry but if it is way different between engines then there is a problem.

Do basic, check timing,check color of all spark plugs and do compression test. Spark plugs should be brown, if white then too lean and likely vacuum leak. Compression if you have bad head gasket it will show here.

Also any water in the oil?"

"Ted

My 1992's take 7 q

"Ted

My 1992's take 7 qts. WITH filter IF you go by the dipstick. I have since learned that there are 2 styles of Dipstick tube depending whether or not you have v-drives or not. Additionally, my carbs have the wedge plate under each one as a result of being or not being v-drives..MY question is: is the oil level the same in each tube? One tube attaches with a 90 degree fitting added in to the pan and they are shaped differently.

As for the steam....MY EXPERIENCE is that the elbows are bad and are leaking small amounts of water into the combustion chambers and as the internally rotted cast iron becomes progressively worse, it will continue to wreak havoc on other parts of the system by water ingestion until one day a catastrophic failure will cause you to have to rebuild the entire engine.

But hey, that's only my opinion ;) ( I have not had good luck with steam)"

"haha believe me Al, I have fo

"haha believe me Al, I have followed your rebuilds! The engine seem to have slowed down on the steam. My son and I went out and wound them up to 3600 RPM (wayyy to fast for me) and the steam was not nearly as severe. It looked like the Crusader steam that I see in Bertram 33's and Wellcraft 33's and Tiara 31's. Making me feel better. I changed the oil and filters with Mobil Delvac 3000. Took about 7 Quarts an engine. They engines are running about 5 degrees cooler and sound much better. I would suggest the Mobil Delvac to everyone!"

"Ted:

Stop guessing, buy an

"Ted:

Stop guessing, buy an infared temp gun, and see what's actually happening! Start at the manifolds and shoot the system all the way to the mufflers on both sides; and do it both at idle and at cruising speed.

If there's anything wrong you'll spot it immediately and save yourself a bunch of $$$$.

Jeff"

"I am so addicted to that infr

"I am so addicted to that infrared heat thing that if I ain't piloting the vessel, I shooting the temp gun somewhere... By the way, the A/C output at the vent is 44 degrees...Thank goodness that works......"

Back