Logo

Grounding fuel filler port

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
So I was poking around in the

So I was poking around in the engine bay and noticed a groundwire that was dangling that looked like it had come loose from somewhere. I couldn't find another loose end but I followed that wire up and it's the ground wire for my metal fuel filler port. Where does this ground go? Should it be grounded to the engine? Or should it be directly grounded to the tank? I would like to have it hooked up before I have to fill it up with gas again. Thanks.

Should likely go to engine gro

Should likely go to engine ground stud if convenient. That should be the same relative ground as the tank body anyway.

Doncha just hate it when you find an unknown wire just dangling there doing nothing useful?

Rod

"I just replaced my fuel sendi

"I just replaced my fuel sending unit and my ground wire goes from the filler cap to the tank to keep the static from building up between the cap and tank, To prevent the explosive reaction of the fuel friction causing static because of the flow between the cap and tank on the rubber hose... sorry I was a fuel mechanic on jets in the USAF.. and I love to be as in depth as possible
"

"Good point John; but I think

"Good point John; but I think the fuel tank is grounded either to the block or the battery - post anyway, right?

Rod"

I'll take the advice of a

I'll take the advice of a USAF fuel mechanic any day! Rod has a point as long as the tank and the filler port are grounded to the block. I will have to double check the ground on the tank. I just noticed the dangling ground from the filler port I think I must have knocked it loose when I ran a new speedo cable through the transom this past weekend. It's driving me nuts I can't find the other half of the wire though! I'll run a new wire.

"the filler is normally connec

"the filler is normally connected directly to the tank to for a good low resistance connection, routing it via the engione block back to the tank adds resistance, espically once those terminals start to corrode. Direct connection is the ABYC method.

Anthony"

Back