Logo

Big Spark When Battery Cable Is Connected

D

David Hillyer

"After winter storage, I went

"After winter storage, I went to crank the engine and noticed that the battery was low. I removed the battery, charged it, and went to reinstall it. When I attempt to connect the positive cable to the battery I am getting a strong spark. All of the equipment is turned off. This is a 1987 454. Any ideas?"

"[b]"All of the equipment

""All of the equipment is turned off."

Ayuh,.... No it Ain't.....

Something Is drawing power....."

Not sure what to say... I have

Not sure what to say... I have checked every switch that I can think of to see if something was on and I can't find anything. Are there any big capacitors or similar in the electronic ignition that have to get an initial charge?

"quote -- When I attempt to co

"quote -- When I attempt to connect the positive cable to the battery I am getting a strong spark. --

You should always connect the positive cable FIRST. Thus if done right there will never be a spark when connecting the positive cable.

Then next, when you get a spark as you connect the NEGATIVE you must realize something is still on, or a short exists somewhere. A really big spark/crack usually means a short. You may even smell or see something burning. Minor spark could mean simply the radio was left on, or bilge pump, or even a Mercathode system in operation."

"Could be a light switch has b

"Could be a light switch has been left on. Check your accessory switch panel. Something somewhere is drawing power, and even if its a light, it will kill your battery in time.

Rod"

"As the saying goes for the po

"As the saying goes for the positive lead;
FIRST ON, LAST OFF. You also put yourself at risk doing otherwise. (ever seen a batt go KABOOM)
Kurt"

"Bt Doctur,
You hit it on the

"Bt Doctur,
You hit it on the head. I reversed the cables while working in the engine compartment and that was causing the spark. Thanks for everyone's comments and help. I guess its time to pull the alternator and have it repaired!"

Back