Logo

Why am I blowing a fuse

leros

"I was running (trying to

"I was running (trying to run) my 1999 50hp Johnson in my driveway before I pull this pontoon up to our Arizona place to leave it. It would crank a few times it didn't start then nothing, no trim movement, no clicky clicky! I found an open 20amp fuse in a holder on the back of the motor. I replaced it and got it to fire up, the motor died, it cranked again then nothing. Open fuse again! I replaced it again started the motor and it worked fine. What does this fuse do for a living, what is this fuse in charge of, the starter?

I would like to fix a potentual problem before I take it up to the River for July 4th week.

Thanks,
SteveO"

"That is a main power fuse tha

"That is a main power fuse that supplies 12 volts to the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch, which in turn supplies 12 volts to the starter solenoid, choke or fuel primer solenoid, and any electrical component that is deriving its voltage from the "A" (accessory) terminal of the ignition switch when that specific function is engaged.

In your case, engaging the electric starter via the solenoid, either you have an intermitent short (unlikely), or the starter encountered a problem momentarily."

"Thanks Joe, I did activate th

"Thanks Joe, I did activate the choke to try and start it. The starter is new and connections are tight."

Back